Advertisement

What books do you recommend?

Started by February 01, 2002 12:51 AM
2 comments, last by Some Guy 22 years, 8 months ago
I am wanting to get a small computer this year (considering building my own to save money, though the effort might not be worth it) to really _learn_ a lot about programming. I want to learn Linux and FreeBSD, but I want to save a lot of money this year (first job coming up; can''t spend more than necessary) so I don''t want to buy a lot of $30-50 books and find out they''re garbage. So, I''ve noticed a lot of books at Borders and B&N on Linux and FreeBSD: FreeBSD Unleashed RedHat Linux 7.2(?) Unleashed Found another one on the Linux kernel, explains how it works, which I would like to know, but I can''t think of the title right now. What books do you recommend? Is there a book that comes with Slackware Linux? And where can I find PDF versions that I can print out? I have Mandrake Linux, and it came with several PDF ebooks, but not all of them can be printed. Thank You, THANK YOU, and thanx.
I''ve heard that FreeBSD Unleashed is pretty good..apart from the typos. I''d certainly recommand it. If I recall correctly, the book came with 4.4 which is a pretty good start in FreeBSD.
But I also hear that the Unleashed books are only "ehh."

Now I started with FreeBSD when I came from Hell into the light, but I hear Linux is much better for the newbie.

As for the Linux(Kernel) book, I think maybe you should thing about getting that after reading all the free info out already on the Linux.

Anyways, FreeBSD comes with a pretty good docproject, you PDF all that and print it....I think almost all the popular Linux distros come with online documentation.

My heart is with FreeBSD, so I''m going to have to say get the Unleashed if you must, it will guide you thru the installation process(not that it hard), and get your system setup to take on the world.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Some Guy
Found another one on the Linux kernel, explains how it works, which I would like to know, but I can''t think of the title right now.

That would likely be Understanding the Linux Kernel.

As for recommendations, I recommend that you peruse the documents at the Linux Documentation Project. It is a complete archive of all major HOWTOs, as well as most READMEs and a couple of books (including The Linux Kernel).

Good luck!

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
That would likely be Understanding the Linux Kernel.

Excellent book
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement