🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Come on help me... it won't take long I promise

Started by
2 comments, last by newbieguy 24 years, 4 months ago
Okay, first let me start off by saying that I''m not as bad off as most that are asking for your help. I consider myself a really good c/c++ and java programmer. My problem is that I don''t know where to start as far as the actual game programming. Now before you get all pissed at me and tell me to read the tutorials and buy a book calm down. I read the "where to start" article and it said I should start with a game like tetris. That''s a great idea but I still don''t know how to relate my c++ programming skills into a tetris like game. That''s all I ask, someone please point me in the tetris direction. I don''t care if you give me a link to somewhere that explains it or if you do it yourself but I''d really appreciate the help. Oh yeah, I know you''ll say get the book and I assure you I will as soon as I get the money (broke college kid, I know you''ve been there) but can you give me some knowledge to hold me over in the mean time. Thanks ahead of time to all that help. -newbieguy <---(I hope oneday I can change that to experiencedguy and then help others
Advertisement
Well, I would suggest learning the basics of some sort of graphics API (preferably DirectX - DirectDraw). I believe there are some tutorials on that here too - and the documentation is great help. After that..well..I dunno, I guess it comes kinda natural
I would start learning how to make some simple animated graphics perhaps an image that moves over the screen or window.

Then I would learn to make it interactive, perhaps controlling the movement with the keyboard or mouse.

Then you can make a really lame game where the goal is to move this image over another image thats moving randomly.

Then put in some logic so the computer tries to move the other image as far away as possible.

Whohoo! you''ve just made a game =) Just kidding with ya. But the point is: move in small steps. Also read a lot of tutorials and experiment a lot.
I doubt anyone is going to tell to buy a book. Most of the people that get told that don''t know what is so funny about the phrase ''Hello World''.

Since you know C/C++ and know how to use a compiler, I would download the Directx stuff from microsoft and take a look at the examples and docs.

If you are interested in 3d programming, head over to www.egerter.com. Mr. Egerter has a great 3d API that is well documented with MANY examples (complete with source). The API is inexpensive (will cost you more than a book though poor boy ) and easy to understand.

Good luck and have fun!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement