Advertisement

A Tile engine/map editor demo......

Started by February 05, 2000 10:14 PM
37 comments, last by Darrell 24 years, 6 months ago
6 fps in windowed mode (yes six), 30 in fullscreen when in view of the house, and 60 when either inside the house or out of view of the house. i guess the bottleneck thus far is drawing multiple layers (the house).

my guess as to why i get such slow fps in windowed mode -> my video mode is 1024x768x16 which takes up 1.5 MB of my 2mb, and when you try to create your offscreen surface, it gets allocated to system memory and then you use all sorts of hardware acceleration on the block of system memory. all the video<->system bus activity is what brings the show to a crawl. my guess anyway.

p233mmx, 96mb ram, 2mb vid card
Darrel - yep, you were right. I ran it in 1152x864x32 at first (~10 fps) then i tried it in the same resolution with 16 bit color and it ran in 100-120 fps (~150-160 outside the "town").
Advertisement
A question for all of you....
Do you think if I made my backbuffer and loaded all graphics into system memory for people with video cards < 2mb, it should improve the fps in windowed mode.
I''m trying to make this work on reasonable hardware P166/P200mmx and above.
I''ll playaround with some settings, and allow you to force system memory surfaces, and see if that improves things.
I''m pleased with the fullscreen mode results, and so I can move on and start adding cool things

Thanks again all!
Nice engine. My results were:
Window mode - 150 - 200 around the house, 200 - 250 elsewhere
Fullscreen - 60 fps...my monitor must be at 60 hz...

System:
P667EB Via chipset
128 meg VCSRAM
Creative SDR GeForce w/32 megs
Monitor at 1280x1024, 32bit

Good luck!
Window: 110 fps near the house, 150 fps in the open
Full-Screen: 75 fps for both

PIII500, 128MB RAM, 16MB TNT2

Breakaway Games

Edited by - Machaira on 2/10/00 8:24:58 AM

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

I found a little problem with the engine... When you''re right near the house, on the left-hand side, and you walk down-right, the guy''s upper body ends up BEHIND the wall, not in front! If you need a screenshot I''ll email it to you if it''s too hard to tell what I mean from this description.

Otherwise, pretty nice

David
-- black eyez
dgoodlad@junction.net
Advertisement
Thanks again all for the feedback.

As for that little graphic glitch, it''s because I was too lazy to update the characters'' position on the map. I''ve marked it for fix, and I''ll have lots of more goodies int the next release. I''ve also improved the collision detection, and you''ll be able to walk up stairs in multi level buildings.
I got 484 fps in windowed mode. I''m running a K7 Athlon 600Mhz, 128MB DIMM RAM, 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 card.

I get a constant 60 fps in fullscreen because of my refresh rate.

In your editor, I clicked on ''Tile Groups'' and then ''Object Groups'' in the tree expansion on the left. You know what I''m talking about, right? Then I click the black box right below it. The program then crashed. It does it every time, so check into that.

ColdfireV
[email=jperegrine@customcall.com]ColdfireV[/email]
I got between 450 - 500 fps in windowed mode and around 65 fps in fullscreen.

My System:

AMD K6-III 450Mhz
128MB RAM
3dfx Voodoo3 3000

My desktop is set to 1024x768x16

Nice Engine by the way

-------
FireFly
-------FireFly
Hey there,

just downloading the engine...hmm...hmm....hmm...done...okay...i''ll start now...

<5 mins later>

well...looks great and feels great...got in window''d mode about 140 ~ 150 fps, in fullscreen about 70 to 80

system
PII450, 128mb ram, TNT2 ultra etc...

keep up the good work
sandman

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement