Advertisement

2D Game Engine Design

Started by February 02, 2000 12:18 AM
0 comments, last by Elixir 24 years, 8 months ago
Recently have been doing some DirectDraw and have become 1/2 decent at it. I do want to code a game I dont want it to be completely knit with my drawing code, making it non-reusable. I am trying to create something simliar to the LithTech (only on the resuablitiy sense, not the gaming one) engine so I can use it for any gaming project and can allow others to use it without rebuilding their game structure. Does anyone have any URLs or book references on encapsulated game engine design? -Thanks
First of all, you will probably want to read "Code Complete" by Microsoft Press. This is an excelent book on writing general code and has a large section on data hiding(encapsulation) and modular design. You could also look at my posing in the Game Design section called "Creating a Game Engine Independant of External Library". You might find it insightfull and then again, you might not.

Brent Robinson
"What if this is as good as it gets?"
"The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone is the lawgiver...No playwright, no stage director, no emperor, however powerful, has ever exercised such absolute athority to arrange a stage or a field of battle and to command such unswervingly dutiful actors or troops." - Joseph Weizenbaum-Brent Robinson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement