Advertisement

Battle system for my browser-based MMO strategy game – a modern take on Travian/Ikariam/Tribal Wars!

Started by October 15, 2024 02:30 PM
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 9 hours, 41 minutes ago

Hey everyone!

I’m excited to share a simple proof-of-concept (POC) demo of the core battle system for my MMO project. This is just a skeleton version to test the battle system only – the game will obviously have different UX\UI and much more strategic depth, different types of units, buildings, upgrades, resource management, alliances, and a lot more.
Before moving forward, I want to make sure the core battle mechanics feel solid as this is one of the main aspect of the game.

Demo

Here’s the link to the demo: Demo Link

Each element in the demo includes a tooltip (activated by hovering on desktop or long pressing on mobile) that explains its function. If you prefer a cleaner interface, you can easily turn off these tooltips by clicking the 'Message Box' button at the top.

Quick Overview of the Battle System

There are three types of units:

1. Land Units – For attacking on land
  2. Sea Units – For attacking on sea
  3. Special Units (Spies) – For gathering intel on the enemy

To attack or spy, you need to choose a land slot (green area) or sea slot (blue area), which acts as an entry points (action points) into the enemy village. In this demo, you can spy on or attack the enemy village. If you win, you’ll loot resources.
You can randomly refresh your unit stats (by clicking in the "refresh icon" button at the top) or click to move on to the next village.

The demo features a variety of slot types that the defender strategically places within their village's land/sea slots, each with unique effects. These slots add a layer of tactical depth and interest far beyond the typical 'power vs. power' approach found in similar games:

1. Trap – Attacker loses 5% of their units per trap
  2. Decoy – Spy missions yield false information for each decoy
  3. Fortress – Defender gains a 5% unit increase per fortress
  4. Blockade – Reduces resources looted by 20% per blockade

Battles are automatically calculated based on the number of units and the effects of the selected slots, making each encounter dynamic as you carefully select the best entry point.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. Please provide your honest opinions on the concept – I'd love to hear your feedback!

None

Moved to the Your Announcements board. Announcements, advertisements, vlog links, etc., are not permitted in the discussion forums. Good luck with your demo, and welcome to gamedev.net. Before posting again, please familiarize yourself with the various features of our site and review our community guidelines.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement