Advertisement

problem with redhat 7.2

Started by December 17, 2001 01:41 AM
19 comments, last by antistuff 22 years, 9 months ago
it doesn''t look like a MBR problem at all to me. Looks like a bad kernel image. Have you tried buying a CD instead of downloading through FTP? You can screw up critical components if the download is bad.

subnet_rx
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
When it blinks on the next line....is it at a command prompt, can you type or is it locked?

Phase 2 is when it loads the GRUB''s mini-os for booting. Important to know if you get that far for troubleshooting.

You might want to try another FTP site and attempt a reinstall. Might be a problem (like the last poster indicated) with that site''s images.

If you got the bandwith, you can just get some ISOs and burn them. I haven''t had much reason to install 7.2 (I''m a upgrade only when you need it type for the most part), but I''ll give it a run over this evening. I got my second box sitting with 7.0 collecting dust, might as well warm it up a bit.

R.
Advertisement
thanks everyone for trying to help. i just ordered a cd set so hoepfuly that will work.
I had the same problem at home. I have 2 systems, one is a Aopen AX59 Pro mobo with a K6-550MHz CPU and the other a Duron 700 MHz on an Epox 8KTa2 mobo.
Both systems installed Redhat 7,1 without any CDROM mounting problem.
When I did a fresh install of Redhat 7.2 last weekend on both systems, the Duron 700 system installed nicely but the K6 system refused to mount the CDROM.
The following URL solved my problem:
http://www.redhat.com/WebX?14@169.zhzNav1aSl8^9@.ee78342/7

It,s in the Redhat forum->Installation and configuration->CD burning and other CD issues->CD-Not a valid block device.

I consider this as a BIG bug. So I decided to rename Redhat 7.2 Redmond 7.2
Can you imagine the frustration of a real Linux newbie who installs it for the 1st time ( It was not my case )
I hope this helps.
Apology, I posted the previous reply to the wrong forum.
Yeah, here''s my advice. Unless a new distro has some feature you need to have, don''t rush to get the latest and greatest. Unlikely commerical software, Linux gets constant improvements and changes a lot. If you got 7.1 running smooth, just let it run until 7.2 has been out for a bit.

There is almost no reason for a casual user to upgrade constantly. It''s usually for some new driver or better device support. Otherwise, the distros are usually pretty much the same from one to the other.

7.2 introduced Grub, so I''m not surprised it''s not smooth. First time out in the world in full force -). I just rolled over my cable to DSL so I''m retooling my linux router with 7.2 for fun. It''s on an old 486, so I''ll let you know how it goes =)

R.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Rube

7.2 introduced Grub, so I''m not surprised it''s not smooth. First time out in the world in full force -). I just rolled over my cable to DSL so I''m retooling my linux router with 7.2 for fun. It''s on an old 486, so I''ll let you know how it goes =)

Where in heck did you get your info? Grub has been in use for quite some time in other distros so it''s not new... Get to know what you''re talking about before posting...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

** I WANT TO BE THE MODERATOR FOR THE LINUX FORUM **

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote: Original post by Rube

quote: Response by Cyberdrek
Where in heck did you get your info? Grub has been in use for quite some time in other distros so it''s not new... Get to know what you''re talking about before posting...

I didn''t want to harp on this; Mandrake has included GRUB (and it''s capitalized: GRand Unified Bootloader is an acronym) for several iterations now - since 7.0 at the very least. This is the first version of RedHat to include GRUB, but by no means the first Linux distro.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
Response by Cyberdrek

I didn''t want to harp on this; Mandrake has included GRUB (and it''s capitalized: GRand Unified Bootloader is an acronym) for several iterations now - since 7.0 at the very least. This is the first version of RedHat to include GRUB, but by no means the first Linux distro.

Wasn''t that what I sort of mentionned??? At least, I thought I did.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

** I WANT TO BE THE MODERATOR FOR THE LINUX FORUM **

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote: Original post by Cyberdrek
Wasn''t that what I sort of mentionned??? At least, I thought I did.

I was agreeing with you.

quote: ** I WANT TO BE THE MODERATOR FOR THE LINUX FORUM **

*AHEM!*

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement