🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What Game Development Companies

Started by
11 comments, last by Neometron 3 years, 11 months ago

If you had to time travel into the past and risk loosing most of your memory in the process, which two game development companies would you choose keep in your memory and why?
I would pick Blizzard (best RPG, best RTS) and ID Software(best FPS).

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement

Calin said:
which two game development companies would you choose keep into your memory

It's unclear what “keep into your memory” means. Also, you have asked everybody for THEIR opinions. You should start with YOUR opinion. Which two would YOU “keep into your memory,” whatever that means? And why?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

It's unclear what “keep into your memory” means

which two game development companies would you pick to make it through time travel.

Calin said:

It's unclear what “keep into your memory” means

which two game development companies would you pick to make it through time travel.

Your question is still unclear. And you still have not said which two YOU would pick. Or why.

I would pick Blizzard (best RPG, best RTS) and ID Software(best FPS).

But why? And what is your question? If you yourself fully answer the question you posed, then maybe the rest of us will be able to discuss. Wait, I see that you have edited your original question (which, to readers who didn't see your original question, makes my subsequent posts inexplicable). But I don't get it, still. Why remember two companies rather than two games? And what does time travel have to do with the question? Travel into the past just to see game companies that existed at that time, then come back to the present when maybe those companies no longer exist?

I suppose this is supposed to be kind of like the movie Yesterday, when something twisted in the universe and the Beatles no longer exist…?

Westwood Studios due to their outstanding work in RTS games and how it shaped the way forward.

FromSoftware for the emotional roller coaster that we all feel when playing their Souls series games.

I wouldn't want to forget my experiences playing games from both of those developers.

Programmer and 3D Artist

@ Tom Sloper I could have asked what game development companies will pass through time as landmarks, I tried to emphasize the test of time aspect.

Why companies not games? People place companies as a foot note in some discussions I think companies are like a guild. Talking about (important) games and not companies is taking things out of context.

Calin said:

@ Tom Sloper I could have asked what game development companies will pass through time as landmarks, I tried to emphasize the test of time aspect.

Isn't that the same thing as “what are the two best all-time game companies”? That would have been a much easier question to grok. Or are we to also consider companies that did exist in the past but don't anymore?

For me personally, I would hope I would not forget the companies where I worked (Western Technologies, Sega, Atari Corp., Activision). But I think the most significant companies that should be remembered are Atari and Nintendo. Atari because it led the pack in the first video game console wars, entertained a generation of players and inspired a generation of future developers. Nintendo because it respawned the industry after the Atari Crash, and continues today to be a major force in games for all generations. One of its current games, Animal Crossing New Horizons, is keeping a huge population of players occupied while in coronavirus lockdown.

To recap: I'm not forgetting the companies where I worked. But my votes for most significant companies are Atari and Nintendo. Makers of hardware as well as software.

Tom Sloper said:
what are the two best all-time game companies

yeah , you could ask it like that as well

[edit] I would include Valve in my list but that`s number 3 which makes it not critical.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement