🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What repercussions can develop a game on armed conflict

Started by
2 comments, last by Prototype 4 years ago

A long time ago, when I started studying about Video Game Development, I realized in the Library of my City, in the story that could be seen on the wall about the development of the City, I realized that in the Country (Colombia) , armed conflict is the bread of the day. It can even be seen as having marked the entertainment industry (unfortunately), with soap operas on such conflicts.

But even so, he felt that the day-to-day lives suffered by heads of households living in the midst of the conflict did not arrive or transmit correctly, often being part of it, forcing them to create an illicit economy through illicit crops in the face of threats, or being displaced.

I started thinking about a video game that could immortalize from Game Desing this is about people. In this, imagine a game of farms where you must cultivate hallucinogens for people to the law's mage in an unlimited time, to survive, something that could frame the lives of many in my country (Colombia).

I dared to write something, on the same basis of the game, with a story where you should find a way to escape safely, with your family, ending up being displaced. But I felt that it was a very big responsibility, and due to the lack of resources for development and members, I decided to abandon it, but mostly because of the fear that reprisals might cause by telling these stories, even if they were necessary.

You who would choose in such a situation. Would they go ahead with this project, or would they not risk their Developer career by exposing themselves to the public eye for this type of stories?.

En español se lee mejor:

Hace tiempo, cuando comence a estudiar sobre el Desarrollo de Videojuegos, me di cuenta en la Biblioteca de mi Ciudad, en la historia que se podria visualizar sobre la pared sobre el desarrollo de la Ciudad, me di cuenta que en el Pais (Colombia), el conflicto armado es el pan del dia. Puede verse incluso como a marcado la industria del entretimiento (lamentablemente), con telenovelas sobre dichos conflictos.

Pero aun asi, sentia que no llegaba ni transmitia correctamente el dia a dia que sufren cabezas de hogar que viven en medio del conflicto, muchas veces siendo parte de el, obligandolos a crear una economia ilicita a travez de cultivos ilicitos ante amenazas, o siendo desplazados.

Comence a pensar sobre un videojuego que pudiera inmortalizar desde el Game Desing este trata de personas. En ello imagine un juego de granjas donde debes cultivar alucinojenos para personas al magen de la ley en un tiempo ilimitado, para sobrevivir, algo que pudiera enmarcar la vida de muchos en mi pais (Colombia).

Me atrevi a escribir algo, sobre la misma base del juego, con una historia donde deberias buscar la forma de escapar a salvo, con tu familia, terminando siendo un desplazado. Pero senti que era una responsabilidad muy grande, y a la falta de recursos para el desarrollo e integrantes, decidi abandonarla, pero mas que nada por el miedo que pudiera causar represarias contando dichas historias, aunque fueran necesarias.

Ustedes que elegirian ante tal situacion. ¿Saldrian adelante con dicho proyecto, o no arriesgarian su carrera de Desarrollador por exponerse al ojo publico por este tipo de historias?.

Advertisement

You either accept the worst, or don't move forward with the project. Anytime you get into political territory there is always a risk of physical harm, social harm, and financial harm.

Programmer and 3D Artist

You should never jump into a fire because it makes a good story.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement