🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Am I good enough for hobby projects?

Started by
8 comments, last by WolfHound Coder 5 years, 8 months ago

I'd love to be able to contribute to some hobbyist project, but I'm interested in many areas and haven't focused hard in any single one, so I don't know if anything I might be able to produce would be worth anything to anyone even for free.

For example, I recently did a couple recordings for LibriVox: https://librivox.org/reader/12671?primary_key=12671&search_category=reader&search_page=1&search_form=get_results I was told I have a nice audiobook voice, maybe I could contribute as a voice actor (except, of course, I'm not a native English speaker)?

I've been dabbling in low-poly 3D art, for many years - probably this armadillo is my proudest moment: https://imgur.com/sAdKnTG

Of course, I've been programming, but I haven't managed to finish any projects, so I don't really have anything out there. But I spent about 2 years honestly wrestling with Unity, and a while with libGDX and Godot. I did this badly recorded video about a rather arcane project -

Oh, I also have a degree in translation between English and Russian, but I haven't engaged in that since uni, nor am I burning with desire to, but... I wouldn't mind to if I could be useful somewhere in that capacity. Except I also don't have a portfolio.

All that is to say, do you see me making a thread "[...] looking for a project" - fill in the brackets with what you think is applicable - and that not being a complete waste of a good thread?

I honestly just want to be useful in some way, and hopefully gain some experience. Of course, it doesn't have to be on this forum, if you see other options.

Advertisement

Hard to make a puzzle when you can't tell what shape the pieces are. ;)

That being said, there are a million and a half hobby projects out there and somebody just might like your style.

I would suggest you choose a specific area you would like to help with though, otherwise, finding a project that matches your desires will be very difficult.  Those who are seeking help, are generally seeking very specific kinds of help.

You could always search out people like you who don't have projects, but want to contribute.  And start a new one!

Good luck out there!

@supermikhail, when you got a few free minutes check out my project 

I've been working on this game for over 4 years now. 
The project's scope has become quite large and there are many different tangents I've got to tackle.
What I have so far is are node.js servers, client side code and a website template and all three need further development.

Specifically what I've been entertaining is working with someone to tackle development of the client side.
If you're interested message me.

That all being said though, I'll let you know you most likely know more about programming than I do. 

+1 - Check out @Awoken's project. If you're going to work with anyone, it's best to pick someone who has shown a lot of devotion in their project.

You have a nice art style. If you're also a programmer and voice actor, just find a hobbyist team or the project above and offer what you can. There are countless projects requiring an artist.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I'd love to, but I don't know anything about multiplayer, plus my JavaScript knowledge is at this point very rusty, to say the least.

9 hours ago, Rutin said:

+1 - Check out @Awoken's project. If you're going to work with anyone, it's best to pick someone who has shown a lot of devotion in their project.

You have a nice art style. If you're also a programmer and voice actor, just find a hobbyist team or the project above and offer what you can. There are countless projects requiring an artist.

Where do I find those projects, though? I mean, I looked in the hobbyist section, and first of all, it's very slow-moving, and I don't even know if there's a point to a 3-months old posting. Then, most projects seem to want photo-realism...

There are a lot of projects posted under 30 days here: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/29-hobby-project-classifieds/

I would suggest just making a post and offering your services. You could focus on offering your graphics if you feel that it has more value at this point. Don't worry about the "photo-realism" posts, just focus on something that is appealing to you. You might want to see if someone at your level would be willing to tag team and work on projects together. This would work great as you could make games together while growing your skill set.

Otherwise, pick up an engine and just utilize your graphical ability and start making some projects.

Programmer and 3D Artist

You are as good as the amount of work and training you put in.

I think you're actually good enough to be able to produce such output. Learning is a continuous process, just devote your time to your project and trust the process and you'll see how polish your work can become. 

Currently working on foose wheels installation. I'm excited to try this out. 

Its good to work with other people to, to prove you can get along with other people with different skill sets. Its also a good way to learn from others. Also it expands your network with opportunities. Try game jams, its a good way to test how you can handle pressure. Many game companies consider Jams a measure of how fast you can "get shit done" under a gun. I also find its good to show some diversity what you work on, so others know your can adapt if a game developer changes genres. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement