Advertisement

Anyone got the answer?

Started by December 05, 2001 10:00 PM
29 comments, last by Andrew Nguyen 22 years, 9 months ago
!!! MY DAD IS GETTING THE FAMILY A COMPAQ! !!! I cant install Linux on one of those (sorry) crappy comps! He says that Linux is a crazy OS created by nerds in a closet! He says that if I can think of the any other reasons to get another computer, hell consider buying another computer! *BREATHE IN* Things that wont wok: To play games faster To get Linux to work To do my homework Yes, it''s true, there should be a Java-Python-C++ language called Japyc or (Jah-PIC)
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
(Legally) free office applications (StarOffice) from Sun (they''re not nerds in a closet, are they ?).

No yearly payment to microsoft.

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
My dad gets free software from his company...

Yes, it''s true,
there should be
a Java-Python-C++ language called Japyc
or (Jah-PIC)
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Reasons not to get a Compaq (my mom bought herself one a long time ago, but I''ve always stayed away from them ):

Weirdo Bigfoot Harddrives. You won''t be able to replace them (remember, hard drives fail more quickly than most hardware) with anything except another Bigfoot. It also makes it harder to add additional hard drives for additional hard drive space without basically lossing your data (without a back up, et cetera).

Besides, the custom towers they sell you are horrible for upgrades in general. All the stuff is moved around and adjusted to fit only their hardware to save space.

They''re overpriced (really). Part of this is because you have to pay for a new version of Windows. If you no long use your old version of Windows you can legally put it on your new computer. Not to mention that Windows XP is evil.

About Linux:
Tell him that Linux is a learning experience as much as it is useful. As an employee at NEC told me last year (paraphrased since I don''t have the email anymore) "In Japan, Linux grew 400% last year. Those who can make it truly sing will be needed." The more skills you have, the more desirable you are. Hey, maybe he''ll even like Linux? It''s not like you can''t use it alongside Windows.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
... Do You Reaaaalllly Want A Clone ?
umm i have a compaq and you can replace the harddrive with non bigfoot drive. in fact i added a 20 gig drive (maxtor) to my compaq. though i no longer would buy compaq since they have terrible reps (well they did replace my power supply when it failed after owning the pc for about a year, then again it was under warrenty), terrible hardware (intergrated everything, though that changes if you buy the busniess version and some of the newer compaqs). in fact the only reason you cant replace the drives was because how the old restore disc works. my other compaq (business class) i had no problem replacing the harddrive and video card, since the only intergrated portiosn were network and audio). i actually replaced the 6gig dirve with a 15gig.

why cant you install linux on a compaq? i guess maybe because your dad wont let you. linux is a crazy OS created by geeks not nerds, and definatly not a closet (unless you consider the net a giant closet). what i dont understand is why you need your own computer unless your rich enough to afford two. i think getting a single souped up machine is better then two crappy ones.

though personally i reccommend NOT getting a compaq (and it looked like i was gonna reccomend them after defending them ) they do tend to use very hard to upgrade towers, though i am guessing your dad will never upgrade the pc anyway since he dont care for games being fast which is the biggest upgrades you would make (hardrives are easy to add into the machines and ram is also easy to upgrade).
Advertisement
Kill him if necessary! Never buy a compaq! Why? Overpriced (mentioned before), Hardware upgrades are impossible because every f*ckin'' part is special Compaq made. Memory costs approx. 4 times more than normal mem with same specs. Quantum disk suck, kick just once again the case and it''s defect(I twice dropped a HD for not more than 10 cm, the quantum was broken, the Maxtor still works!), trying to add extra hardware takes you more than a day because their cases are filled with useless pieces of metal to prevent people adding hardware. And the worst part is the Videocard in those crap things suck! At most an ISA card with 12 Kb VRAM on it! So, talk you''re dad out of it and if necesaary kill him! Damn, I''m glad my dad never would buy an Compaq since I can built them myself for half the price of a compaq with better specs!!

Sand Hawk

Member of the Stupid Coders.
http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net

-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
Only Smarties have the answer. All we have is questions. Seek the Smarty, and you shall gain wisdom. GOodbye.

(Yes, I''m bored)

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Was Compaq the one that HP bought out not too long ago?

Hisss!!!! Evil HP!!! Evil!!! HISS!!! Why can''t you even send the right recovery cd??? Why do you have to use a custom tailered version of windows?? (yes, for many of HP''s computers, you have to have buy a special version of windows from them, or certain things won''t work and they refuse any technical support... well, they never had any tech support anyway...)

Signed - A disgruntled former HP customer.
I have never ever had any problems with my compaq deskpro... maybe they are different in germany...<BR>
never had any problems installing fresh copies of operating systems...no crashes in the last 4 years...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement