🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone here without (visual) depth perception AKA 3D vision?

Started by
3 comments, last by Lactose 5 years, 11 months ago

As per the title... Just out of interest, does anyone on this forum lack depth perception? AKA stereoscopic vision/binocular vision/3D vision.

A quick & dirty check-yourself test can be found here: https://www.mediacollege.com/3d/depth-perception/test.html

If you do lack depth perception, when and how did you find out?

Does it bother you?

Have you experienced 3D movies and/or VR titles? If so, what were your thoughts compared to normal 2D movies and non-VR titles?

Given the various VR devices out and about, I find this to be an interesting topic.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Advertisement

For me...

I don't have stereoscopic vision. My eyes both work, but not perfectly in unison. My dominant eye's input is what fills my vision, with the peripheral being filled in by my non-dominant eye's input.

I didn't know until I was mid-20s or so, working on a 3DS game. Before that, I had noticed that I never seemed to see the picture hidden inside an autostereogram (AKA magic eye pictures). I also never understood why people were fascinated by the View-Master toy -- I just saw some pictures of random things, nothing special about that!

Since I was a kid, I've always been able to "choose" which eye I see things with, and I was quite surprised when I found out that's not a normal thing. For me, it seemed as intuitive as being able to choose which hand you use to pick up an apple. Essentially, I can choose which eye is my dominant one, although if I make no effort, my left eye is always dominant. Which is a shame, as some colors (yellow, especially) looks slightly better with my right eye. Richer, somehow.

I can give myself motion sickness while walking, if I swap to having my right eye be the dominant one. I suffered from a lot of headaches when I was a kid, which might potentially be linked to my brain really not liking the conflicting signals my eyes sent, and just funneled that into intense pain until it understood how to discard most of my non-dominant eye's input.

3D movies do nothing for me -- and it feels silly that I still have to wear the 3D glasses in order to view the movie the same as I do when I watch a movie in 2D.

VR is still quite a step up in terms of immersion. While it's still no proper stereoscopy, it's the same way I view the rest of the world. I've been thinking about a VR project for quite a long while, which I'm hoping to get some sort of start on once my summer vacation starts.

I'm not really super-bothered about my lack of depth perception -- I've never had it, so I can't really tell what I'm missing out on, but I would definitely like to experience it.

My answer is: sometimes.

I had plenty of surgeries for amblyopia when I was young.  Those worked, mostly, although I'm incapable of crossing my eyes they way my friends always could (which, I guess, was kind of the point).  As an adult, the results of tests at the ophthalmologist is "limited 3D vision."  That means I can drive OK, but I still can't catch something that gets thrown at me (at least I have an excuse for why I was always last against the wall when they were picking teams in grade school).  Consider the problem to be a form of input lag with the feedback control on my EM-spectrum sensors.  So sad, I'm, sure you're all shedding tears for me at this point as the violin music swells.

End result: 3D movies make my eyes ache and just mostly look flat (except may once in a while, a big cheesy effect will "pop", gosh wow).  That 3D TV tech that did not use glasses just didn't work for me, it just looked blurry.  I haven't tried VR because I can feel my eyes ache just looking at the headset. That, and I'm a cheap little beggar (those things cost many beers).

It doesn't bother me since it's a privilege I've never had, but it is annoying that I have to pay a premium for first-run movies when the only screens are in 3D when its effect is lost on me.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

3 hours ago, Bregma said:

I still can't catch something that gets thrown at me

Interestingly, I don't have any particular issues with this.

I would definitely recommend testing VR if you have the opportunity, but I can see not wanting to throw tons of money at it without any first-hand experience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement