🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

can 32bit games able to run in 64bit os?

Started by
4 comments, last by jbadams 6 years ago

hey there guys last week i hook up with the Windows 7 32bit and installed Windows 8.1 64bit i want to ask when i was playing games like batman arkham city and call of duty black ops 1 but these are 32bit .exe and i was able to play batman arkham city and black ops1 in windows 7 32bit properly and betrer cause the games exe was 32 bit i want to ask is there any problem with 32 bit stuff to run in 64 bit os Nox Showbox Vidmate

Advertisement

Most 64bit systems have facilities to run 32-bit programs.

Moving this topic to The Lounge as it's not a directly programming-related question.

I can't think of any problems I've ever had with 32-bit EXEs on 64-bit Windows.

Current x86-64 CPUs can mostly all still execute 32-bit code, so it's a question of whether the OS provides the necessary 32-bit versions of system libraries.

Microsoft is in the backwards-compatibility game. Most software from the DOS era will still run on Windows 10 (at least to some degree), and I expect them to keep 32-bit compatibility basically forever.

Other OS vendors are not in that same game. Specifically Apple, who recently announced that the upcoming OS version will be the last to contain 32-bit compatibility, and sunset 32-bit support on iOS a while back.

Linux variants still tend to support 32-bit, but not necessarily out of the box. For example, on Ubuntu you have to manually install a bunch of packages (and there is often confusion about which packages are actually essential to the process),

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

The above answers are correct, but perhaps give a bit more detail than is really necessary based on the original question.

To answer it simply and plainly, as you are using Windows and presumably not using some unusual processor, no, there should be no problems running 32bit software on 64bit Windows/processor.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement