Advertisement

Linux and others

Started by January 24, 2000 09:12 AM
10 comments, last by Qoy 24 years, 7 months ago
Linux is linux no matter what distro you use its pretty much all the same kernel. The only differences is where they are oriented towards. RedHat is more network, and Corel is more desktop (to ease the transition for Windows users) but they all can do the same thing, you just gotta get your hands dirty depending what you want to do. I haven''t used any other distro besides RedHat and Corel, but I can tell you that these two are easy enough to install, especially Corel (takes four easy steps...) Both are easy to install because they can detect PCI hardware within the installation, if you don''t have PCI, it''s going to be a little harder to install. If you are setting up a network, I suggest RedHat, a workstation, well go with Corel.... my 0.02$
I''ve only recently started using Linux at home.

I use it as a CVS server and a small web server on an old Pentium 100.

I had a hard time setting it up, but I was doing a clean install and making the machine Linux-only. I also couldn''t quite remember what video card I had in the computer... it was not amused at some of my guesses

I''ve also had a hard time trying to get Samba running, but oh well...

I also have BeOS installed on my main machine. I also have it installed at work, both on an Intel and a PowerPC.

I really like BeOS, its gui is pretty simple and uncluttered, and it seems to run pretty solidly.

And then there''s the whole BeIA, internet appliance thing... which is something that I''m pretty interested in.

I had no problems installing BeOS on those various systems.
One is installed next to MacOS, one to Windows98 and one on a machine with WinNT 4.0 and Windows 2000.

The only problem I ever had was with an old SCSI hard drive I have attached to my machine at home. It won''t boot with that drive on, so I just turn if off if I''m using BeOS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement