🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is your Game of the Year for 2017 and why?

Started by
35 comments, last by conquestor3 6 years, 6 months ago
44 minutes ago, Michael Aganier said:

I would love some kind of extensive understandable blog on how you would design ASL features in computer games. I can't imagine to dedicate a year to learn to play a game and keep up with programming all at the same time.

Yes, learning to become both at the same time would be a monumental task, wouldn't it... {Pauses for dramatic effect...}

If you learned it, you would understand it.  But you could just get the starter kit, and the primary two or three products (can't remember what they are called, but they are obvious when you look at it all) and just read it.  The structure of the phased turns and sequence of play alone will give you many ideas about you might make an RTS play itself out in a better way.

"I wish that I could live it all again."

Advertisement

Yeah, you're right. I found an online version of the manual 1st edition. I'll start from that then.

Some other games, all made by SFB Staff members, that might be of interest...

Bruce "Agent One" Graw, Agents of Gaming, Babylon 5 Wars - The Babylon 5 version of Star Fleet Battles.  The SFB Staff assisted SFB Staff member Bruce Graw in the design of this game.  Many story elements were ghost written by JMS himself, who was an SFB player, including four different alternate Mars histories written by JMS!  Bablyon 5 was heavily influenced by SFB.

http://www.agentsofgaming.com/oshop.htm

Ken Burnside, Ad Astra Games - The best jet fighter games ever made, and various sci-fi games.

http://www.adastragames.com/

Jon Cleaves, DGS Games - Classic ruler and string miniature war games made by former SFB Staff member and real-world US Army officer Jon Cleaves who is currently the Director of Threat Integration of the US Army.

https://www.dgsgames.com/

I'll stop hijacking this thread now, which I didn't mean to do.  I am not a very "social media" savvy person (to say the least), and was just replying to notifications without paying any attention to which threads they were in.  But I just didn't do Ken Burnside justice in that last post, and there is something very important that I left out.

Ken Burnside is an actual, real-life genius in every sense of the word.  If you are interested in the most realistic, detailed, and accurate jet air combat ever made (by a long, long way...) buy his "Birds of Prey".  It is expensive by your standards, but worth every penny if this interests you.  Similarly, if you want to play the most realistic, detailed, and accurate "real science" space combat ever made, buy Ad Astra's "Attack Vector:Tactical".

Ken is also the author of three books written to explain realistic space combat in space, within what is known of real-physics, to both writers and game designers.  These books are written of what is known today in real science, not a sci-fi settings.  One of these books was nominated for a 2015 HUGO Award.  Anyone who makes space games should definitely read Ken's books, and you can get all 3 of them for like $6 from his products page.

I thought it could be bannerlord, but it hasn't been released (!!!). All I played were old games. 

Dominions 5 or dungeons 3. Both are fantastic strategy games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement