🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is your Game of the Year for 2017 and why?

Started by
35 comments, last by conquestor3 6 years, 6 months ago

Zero Horizon Dawn gets my vote also. Because of its amazing design and gameplay, it will make you feel like a real hunter.

Advertisement

I'd say mine in Bluejay's Quest. It is a game about a bird that follows Mario. I spent most of the year coding up the engine to run it, though. It is a relatively unique game where you control a character that flies through a platform level. There is no running and jumping. I'm currently making levels for the game. Should be done by the end of this year.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

I'm gonna put my vote behind Horizon: Zero Dawn as well. I haven't finished it yet, but it's been a ton of fun so far, with an epic story and well crafted open world. The other thing I like about it is that it's a new IP. 

Zelda is most likely going to win GOTY in many places though. I've heard it's a mind-blowing game, I just don't own a Switch yet, so can't play it haha. Sigh, time to find a friend from somewhere...

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I honestly haven't played any games in 2017. So if I was just going by trailers and gameplay videos

1. Super Retro Maker
  2. Cuphead
  3. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

On 23.11.2017 at 5:15 PM, Anri said:

I feel ashamed to say it, but the only 2017 game I have played is Metroid: Samus Returns.  Sadly I can only compare it to previous entries in the series, and not other titles released this year.  Just in case some missed the chance to play it...

At first it seemed like a "triumphant return" to the classic 2D Metroid formula with improved visuals and gameplay, but sadly its sabotaged by missed story opportunities, some Megaman-like boss encounters and not enough variety in Metroid encounters until about 70% of the way in, which leads to a nasty difficulty spike at that point.  The new controls are welcome, but the latter boss encounters left my thumbs hurting.  I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't help but feel it was rushed - the inclusion of a certain fan favourite character(which made little sense to begin with) was merely an apology for a certain scene in Other M and not in the interest of the game, yet not much effort to explore what happened to the previous team nor the Chozo's history of the planet.  Other M and Federation Force were at least something Nintendo believed in and meant well with - to develop the Metroid universe further - and yet the fan backlash of those titles only led to Samus Returns being taken out of the oven before it was properly cooked.

It is really a shame that Nintendo didn't dip into the pool of pure fan-love that gathered in the AM2R Project. That remake is really amazing. As much as it is still riddled with some of the downsides of the original M2 (for example not that much enemy variety), its amazing 2D Graphics, and the really out there sound design show both the love for the original by the group who made the remake, as well as the sound designer credentials of the lead (who must be the biggest M2 fan ever for sticking with the project for so long). All the complaints about the controls have been fixed, and a lot of the good changes to the formula from Super Metroid has been brought onboard

I get that Nintendo isn't Sega (who brought remakers in to work on a Sonic title before after a very good fan remake), that Nintendos vision for the project was different (no pixelated retro style on official 3DS Titles, thus 2D Pixelart would likely be much more expensive than the low quality 3D art used for the official remake), and that Nintendo probably was already working on their rework when ordering the remake crew to take the links to the AM2R builds down.

But boy, is AM2R what Metroid has needed to be for quite a while. A classic Metroidvania with amazing 2D graphics (even if retro style), an amazing Soundtrack that concentrates on telling its story through gameplay.

I cannot comment on the official remake, but I kinda was underwhelmed by the graphics even though it was a 3DS game, and I have my doubt if the soundtrack can come anywhere close to the AM2R soundtrack:

As much as it was probably never gonna happen... I would love to play THIS game on a Nintendo console as an official remake of M2.

Would it make me reconsider and buy the Switch? Probably not. Nintendo would have to put a GOOD, NEW entry in the series into the bag too. But it would certainly sweeten the deal enough for me to buy the Switch just for some Metroid glory.

Re: Gian-Reto

AM2R certainly was a labour of love, and if it weren't for the frustrating boss battles, I would happily accept it as one of my favourite Metroid games.  For now, I still consider the original Metroid 2 the best version, but I've said this all along - those behind AM2R should be working for Nintendo, and AM2R - whether Nintendo likes it or not - is now a milestone of the franchise history.  When Nintendo left its fan's in the dark, AM2R kept Metroid afloat, and that was during its 30th Anniversary year.  Federation Force was actually a nice entry into the series and certainly did not deserve the back lash it got, but a classic 2D Metroid would have been better suited for a hand-held system. Nintendo should have learned that lesson after the hand-crippling experience that was Metroid Hunters on the DS, but with the 3DS gyroscopic aiming FF is less punishing on the hands.

Its hard to rate which is better; AM2R or M:SR. They provide two very different takes on the same game but I would say they could do with exchanging numbers and getting together.  Having played both, it was definitely a mistake not to have offered the AM2R creator a job on Samus Returns.

Personally I felt the visuals in Samus Returns were top-notch, with only noticable slowdown during teleportation/elevator sequences and some boss encounters.  My only regret was not being able to experience it in 3D, as I only have a 2DS. If you are still on the fence about playing Samus Returns - especially comparing it to AM2R - then I would say give it a chance.  Just be prepared for the two "guest bosses" as they are complete shitbags of the highest order.  And if you thought the SA-X chase scenes in Fusion were scary you will be in for a nasty shock in Samus Returns.  Just remember you can morph into a ball by tapping the bottom screen.

I was going to buy SW: BF2, but £50 is far too much for me.  I could understand that kind of pricing back when Starfox was released as it was a cartridge with a built in 3D chip - but all we get now is a sodding disc in a cheap plastic dvd case.  I'll have to wait until it comes down to at least £30 to give it a shot.

One game I am regretting not have played this year is Splattoon 2.  That series looks mega-fun!

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

2 hours ago, Anri said:

Personally I felt the visuals in Samus Returns were top-notch, with only noticable slowdown during teleportation/elevator sequences and some boss encounters.  My only regret was not being able to experience it in 3D, as I only have a 2DS. If you are still on the fence about playing Samus Returns - especially comparing it to AM2R - then I would say give it a chance.  Just be prepared for the two "guest bosses" as they are complete shitbags of the highest order.  And if you thought the SA-X chase scenes in Fusion were scary you will be in for a nasty shock in Samus Returns.  Just remember you can morph into a ball by tapping the bottom screen.

Well, the trailers I have seen kind of painted the 3D graphics in a not to kind light... though as usual, it seemed to look fine-ish during normal play, just when drawing the camera in for a cutscene did the closeup geometry revealed its lowpoly nature.

If I had a 3DS, I probably would keep it on my list for games to check out during sales. Not sure if I really will like it over AM2R, but on the other hand its a 2D-ish Metroid... which is probably something we will only get as remakes of older titles now.

(I will probably have to get a 3DS when prices fall due to the switch with all the gems I missed like Bravely Default... guess that would be a chance to also play Samus Return)

... I really hope Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night will wake up some AAA studios, including Nintendo, to the fact that the Metroidvania genre still has some live in it. If a game has the chance to create some wave in this genre, its this one. Please be good, Bloodstained.. :)

19 hours ago, Gian-Reto said:

Well, the trailers I have seen kind of painted the 3D graphics in a not to kind light... though as usual, it seemed to look fine-ish during normal play, just when drawing the camera in for a cutscene did the closeup geometry revealed its lowpoly nature.

If I had a 3DS, I probably would keep it on my list for games to check out during sales. Not sure if I really will like it over AM2R, but on the other hand its a 2D-ish Metroid... which is probably something we will only get as remakes of older titles now.

(I will probably have to get a 3DS when prices fall due to the switch with all the gems I missed like Bravely Default... guess that would be a chance to also play Samus Return)

... I really hope Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night will wake up some AAA studios, including Nintendo, to the fact that the Metroidvania genre still has some live in it. If a game has the chance to create some wave in this genre, its this one. Please be good, Bloodstained..

High-five on Bloodstained.  I have very fond memories of reading Sega Saturn magazine back in...1998 and seeing a review on the Saturn version of SOTN.  I thankfully found a copy at the time of the PS version and fell in love with the game.  Been waiting for a true successor to SOTN, so - lol - hopefully next year will be the end of a 20 year wait!  And maybe that will be the "game of 2018"...

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

For those like me who didn't know:

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

2017 game of the year?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/229713/war-room

You've still got a few decades of catching up to do before you are even in the running...

"I wish that I could live it all again."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement