🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is your Game of the Year for 2017 and why?

Started by
35 comments, last by conquestor3 6 years, 6 months ago
On 01/12/2017 at 8:57 PM, Kavik Kang said:

2017 game of the year?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/229713/war-room

You've still got a few decades of catching up to do before you are even in the running...

Good gawd man! Thats a damn bwwwaaaaaaaardddd-game!  Put it away before the mods see it!  ^_^

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Advertisement

It's much more than what you likely imagine a board game too be.  War Room is Larry Harris doing a Kavik Kang impersonation without realizing it, 25 years after I did it he has arrived at something that is conceptually very much like my Territories.  This is an Axis & Allies (or Sid Meier) like "iconic representation" game running on Avalon Hill's phased turns using Star Fleet Battles "secret and simultaneous orders".  Give Larry another 25 years and he might actually arrive at Rube;-)

"I wish that I could live it all again."

1 hour ago, Kavik Kang said:

It's much more than what you likely imagine a board game too be.  War Room is Larry Harris doing a Kavik Kang impersonation without realizing it, 25 years after I did it he has arrived at something that is conceptually very much like my Territories.  This is an Axis & Allies (or Sid Meier) like "iconic representation" game running on Avalon Hill's phased turns using Star Fleet Battles "secret and simultaneous orders".  Give Larry another 25 years and he might actually arrive at Rube;-)

My apologies, Kavik, but I seem unable to track down your game Territories - would you mind posting a link?  I found a board game under that name but it was made in 2007.

I have always had a fondness for tabletop gaming, though sadly not enough time to make nor play them.  It would be nice to see your efforts!  ^_^

Territories is a design for a computer game, it has still never been made.

3 hours ago, Kavik Kang said:

Would you mind to share the outlines of Territories? I only recently started looking into war board games with Advanced Squad Leader which I believe was your advice on some other thread since Territories seems to be strongly based on board game mechanics. You made reference to mechanics from Axis & Allies, Avalon Hill and Star Fleet Battles, but I never played any of them. Does it look like any existing mechanics in computer games?

I believe you guys are getting off-topic xD To answer Matthew Birdzell I would have to say Resident Evil 7, released January 24th, 2017. 

Capcom was in a rough spot with their #1 survival-horror franchise after Resident Evil 6 received mediocre reviews (I for one enjoyed the hell out of the game). They took a dangerous gamble with Resident Evil 7 by returning to it's roots while also making the game 1st-person, but it payed off and the game was wildly successful, saving one of my favorite franchises from getting the axe. The game has certainly earned my GOTY award.

I was going to say Resident Evil 7, but it's the only game from 2017 that I played.

7 hours ago, Kavik Kang said:

That is a shame, my friend.  It seemed interesting! ^_^

Especially if you want to make RTS games, you should definitely learn Advanced Squad Leader.  Avalon Hill's games that led to ASL, and ASL, should be the game design bible of RTS designers (Panzerblitz is one of the most historically important games in the history of game design, and was the first step towards ASL).  There is a whole lot in ASL that could vastly improve the RTS genre.  To truly learn ASL well, and really understand it, is going to take at least a year or so of studying it and playing it.  Especially if you have never played an Avalon Hill game before.

Territories is sort of the next evolution of how Avalon Hill and Amarillo Design Bureau games worked.  It is fairly easily explained too people who are familiar with SFB and the impulse chart, but it really takes of a lot of explaining too those who are not familiar with SVC's games.  It is not anything like modern games because it runs on a "next generation" "treadmill of time" that is the next step forward beyond SFB's impulse chart.  The impulse chart was, itself, the next step beyond Avalon Hill's phased turns.

Larry Harris's War Room is just running on Avalon Hill's phased turns, but it is the first game I have ever seen that is heading in the same direction as my games.  It is conceptually very similar to Territories, a simple iconic representation game like Axis & Allies or a Sid Meier game, disguising and simplifying Avalon Hill/ADB inspired rules.  In this regard, they are very similar.  In other ways they are very different in a lot of ways as well.

5 hours ago, Kavik Kang said:

There is a whole lot in ASL that could vastly improve the RTS genre.  To truly learn ASL well, and really understand it, is going to take at least a year or so of studying it and playing it.  Especially if you have never played an Avalon Hill game before.

I would love some kind of extensive understandable blog on how you would design ASL features in computer games. I can't imagine to dedicate a year to learn to play a game and keep up with programming all at the same time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement