🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is Phil Fish a Jerk?

Started by
30 comments, last by ApochPiQ 6 years, 7 months ago
2 hours ago, Michael Aganier said:

in which case he made the mistake to show himself to the public knowing very well his insecurity could bring him to do things he would regret

I'm not sure if you intended it this way, but this sounds to me like straight-up victim blaming. Along the lines of "she shouldn't have gone out in public in that short skirt"

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement
32 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

I'm not sure if you intended it this way, but this sounds to me like straight-up victim blaming. Along the lines of "she shouldn't have gone out in public in that short skirt"

It's aggressor blaming, not victim blaming. Along the lines of "he shouldn't have gone out in public if he knew he couldn't behave".

30 minutes ago, Michael Aganier said:

It's aggressor blaming, not victim blaming. Along the lines of "he shouldn't have gone out in public if he knew he couldn't behave".

In other words, an insecure person shouldn't show themselves to the public because they might piss someone off enough that the person they pissed off sends them death threats? That's... still victim blaming.

I mean, are you really trying to say that that Phil Fish is the aggressor, and the trolls who sent him death threats are the victims?

Just now, Oberon_Command said:

So you're saying Phil Fish is the aggressor, and not the trolls who sent him death threats...?

I'm making reference to him insulting the entire Japanese gaming culture and insulting his own fanbase. The hate he received was caused by his own arrogant behaviour.

19 minutes ago, Michael Aganier said:

I'm making reference to him insulting the entire Japanese gaming culture and insulting his own fanbase. The hate he received was caused by his own arrogant behaviour.

So you're okay with game developers getting death threats and having their lives potentially destroyed when they piss off internet trolls? And it's the fault of the game developers that they're receiving the death threats, and the people sending them are not culpable at all? I really don't see how this isn't victim blaming.

In case you couldn't tell, I am strongly of the opinion that we shouldn't endorse toxic behavior in our culture or our players'. Blaming game developers for being on the receiving end of toxicity, rather than condemning that toxicity, constitutes an implicit endorsement of toxic behavior. It frankly frightens me a little that people who hang out in a game developer forum seem to think that the kind of hate Fish received is okay, or that Fish is culpable for his treatment...

Just, lock this thread, already. It's beyond ridiculous a thread dedicated to debate whether someone is a jerk because of their actions under stress.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to say he is an aggressor.

I wanted to talk about the facts. Trolls exist. What are you gonna do about it? Nothing. I'm telling you that if you go and insult everyone, there will be strong backslash. The backslash may not be deserved, but it will be there. The only thing you can do is learn public relations and insulting your whole fan base is not a good way to do PR.

It's like putting your hand in lava and blaming the lava for burning your hand. The lava doesn't care if you deserve to be burnt. You will be burnt no matter what.

Death threats are never ok. But did he quit over the death threats? I only recall him saying that he was done with the haters and that the industry is disgusting?

Ok I've now seen the movie which I found very interesting. I see my previous comments were off topic sorry about that.

10 hours ago, ferreiradaselva said:

Just, lock this thread, already. It's beyond ridiculous a thread dedicated to debate whether someone is a jerk because of their actions under stress.

If you find it ridiculous, perhaps go to a different thread? You're just kinda proving that trolls are everywhere, seeing as you contributed nothing to the discussion. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement