🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Do you think game development costs will eventually go back down again?

Started by
11 comments, last by SillyCow 6 years, 8 months ago

Posting this in the lounge instead of the business forum because this is about more than just business. It's also about speculation of what future technology might be like.

Here's something I've been thinking about lately. A lot of people are concerned about the exploding costs of AAA game development. Modern games like Destiny and GTA V cost over $100 million to create, and future generations of games may become even more expensive because of things like increased resolutions and polygon counts. But what if this trend of rising costs is only temporary? Do you think advancements in technology and improved tools could eventually bring game development costs back down again?

Now I don't have much experience with software development beyond writing a few simple programs, but I thought I'd throw some ideas out here anyway to see what the gamedev community thinks. Here are some ways I can imagine this trend of rising costs reversing:

Advancements in procedural generation. As more research is put in and better algorithms are discovered, procedurally generated content becomes increasingly diverse, and the cost of content creation goes down, until eventually, we're be able to make billions of procedurally generated worlds that actually are unique and not just variations of each other like in No Man's Sky and other existing proc-gen games. From the Niagara Falls to the Grand Canyon, our planet is full of awesome, unique, interesting, and beautiful places to explore, and it wasn't made by hand, so who says we won't eventually achieve a comparable level of diversity with procedural generation?

Better engines and libraries. Over time, engines and libraries become able to do more stuff that companies currently have to do manually, and make the remaining tasks faster, cheaper, and easier.

Artificial superintelligence. This sounds farfetched, but if Ray Kurzweil's predictions of an ASI are correct, gamedev costs would be reduced to almost nothing, assuming the AI doesn't kill us all first. Not only would an ASI be capable of creating entire games for us, but those games would put even the world's greatest human-created games to shame.

So, what do you think, could future gamedev technology bring the massive costs of AAA game development back down to a more acceptable level, or at the very least, lower the costs of what constitutes a AAA game by 2017 standards?

Advertisement

I dont see the cost of AAA games going down.   Visual fidelity will only keep increasing, which means higher costs.  And unless there's some major changes in the way the game market works, then the current pattern of higher and higher budget games will probably continue, especially if the numbers of players keeps growing. 

Trying to compete with low-budget games now means having to compete with the sheer numbers of crap games and Chinese clones that flood the market.

If you think about it cost of games has gone down a lot. You can make Pack Man for the fraction of the cost when it was first released. A small home team could make a full GTA 1 clone for much less than it first cost to make.

The problem is that the ambitions of developers and the expectation of players is always driving up cost. So I think making games will always be expensive. No matter how good we get at it.

1 hour ago, Scouting Ninja said:

If you think about it cost of games has gone down a lot. You can make Pack Man for the fraction of the cost when it was first released. A small home team could make a full GTA 1 clone for much less than it first cost to make.

The problem is that the ambitions of developers and the expectation of players is always driving up cost. So I think making games will always be expensive. No matter how good we get at it.

Making games is certainly much easier and cheaper now.  But making AAA games just gets more expensive, same as with making tent-pole studio movies.  Not sure what conditions would have to arise in the industry for that to change.

Aside from time (depending on whether you take this into account. i.e Hobby, Pro, etc..), it is hard to get cheaper than it is right now to develop games. You can easily get away with spending zero these days with all of these free IDE's that are out there now.

The cost of making games has both gone down and gone up as the market has matured.

As usual, I draw a parallel between similar genres in the entertainment industry.  Block-buster releases continue to be seen in the movie industry, for example, with budgets in the multiple hundreds of million put together by teams of hundreds of artists and technicians, all the while people can churn out 'indie' home movies for free and put them up on n the internet for free distribution -- and some of them are better than typical schlock commercial box-office fodder.

Fielding a professional sports team is phenomenally expensive these days and entry into a top league prohibitively expensive, but kids can use anything for a ball and kick it around an empty lot in a barrio for hours of free entertainment.

Computer games is not a special exception in the entertainment industry.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

10 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

That's a good point. Making GTA5 exactly as it is now, but back in the 80's, would've cost a hundred billion, not a hundred million :)

11 hours ago, Andrew_ said:

Do you think advancements in technology and improved tools could eventually bring game development costs back down again?

This is an issue, yes, because the cost of content production does seem to increase in large spikes with every new generation of games. Early on, $1M was big budget, then $10M, then $100M... and now $1M is a good budget for an indie game! :o
 I don't know how much that trend will continue though. We're really just seeing AAA game production grow to a level where it's now on-par with blockbuster film production, whereas earlier it was on-par with independent films.

The cost of content production constantly does come down as tools improve. The content production workflows for AAA content are constantly having parts of them automated / replaced with procedural solutions.

However, this just means that it's now possible to make bigger games than you could before, for the same budget... so that's what AAA will do!

As mentioned in other posts, you've now got very cash-poor indies making content that's far surpassing AAA content from decades earlier, because they've got access to amazing tools that completely blow away the tools that those decade-old AAA games were built with.

Thanks everyone for the input. This all makes more sense to me now.

In project management:
Project = Resources * Requirements * Time

Resources are people, money, tools, etc.
Requirements are scope, features, etc.
Time is schedules and timelines.

As your requirements increase, so must your resources and time. The AAA studios come up with these massively scoped projects with timelines in the 3-4 year range. They have to staff up with programmers, artists, producers, designers, etc. From what little I understand from the AAA side of project management, they dont staff up to maximum capacity at the beginning of the project, but the do staffing based on project phases, only for the duration of the project phase (ie, artists are hired in bulk a year into development when the project moves into production). This is more efficient and saves money and allows for slightly bigger projects? You also have increasing production values in modern games as well: You can have very high poly character models with animations which are recorded with motion capture studios using actors, lots of voice actors reading tons of script, loads of level designers making huge detailed worlds, etc. Every time a triple A studio raises the bar on production values, every other studio gas to match the same quality level or risk being ridiculed by critics and gamers. This means the future will hold ever increasing requirements, which need more resources and time to accomplish. Some day, we may see a game which costed $500 million to make.

Not forgetting the raising costs for a single one to live. Rent is increasing from year to year and living expenses like paying for food up to ensurances raise too while people will have less and less money for there pensions. This is not a game development related problem only but also for the whole industry level and costs raise in the private section, costs will also raise in the human resources section too. People are always anxious to keep there living standard, giving each employee a salary increase of lets say 50$ a year means in a company like EA (with lets assume round about 9000 employees) a cost increase of 450.000$ a year in this hypothetical example. This should not be reliable counts but an aspect of the social component of game development costs :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement