🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What laptop should I buy as a developer?

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 6 years, 8 months ago

Good day. Im planning to start my own game dev as a solo developer and artist. My question is what laptop should I buy for me to develop games? Planning to develop for moblile, and PC and Console for the future as well. Should I buy a Macbook or a Windows Laptop? I can develop with Lua, c++ and c#. Thanks in advance

Advertisement

What platform are your users going to be on? That will determine which machine/OS you should buy. For instance, if you wish to make games for Steam on Windows PC, then you should get a Windows PC laptop. On the other hand, if you want to release your games on iOS, you'll want a Mac. If you're targeting Android, then either Windows or Mac will suffice.

It depends what you want to do with it. Do you want to use the notebook as a main computer in your office? Or do you travel a lot? Or do you want a notebook just to save space?

From my personal experience using notebooks as a desktop replacement and to save space: Dont buy a notebook - its a waste of money and you get frustrated when its not powerful enough!

Just get a normal desktop computer with fine components. There are even pretty small cases out there with a ton of performance.

If you really want to get a notebook, then forget about the gaming ones - these have pretty bad keyboard layouts and are full of bloat software. Especially msi with thier apache series.

In general, any modern laptop will have sufficient hardware power for you.  All the major tools run just fine on all the mainstream computers manufactured within the past decade.  You do not need to spend thousands of dollars on the machine, you can use a low-budget or used computer if those are the funds you have.   

Consider whatever type of game you'll be playing on your new machine.  The game you make as an individual will be far less sophisticated.  Even running the fancy build tools and developments you will still not tax your equipment to the same degree.

Regarding the choice of what software to run on the system, that's up to you.  Since you mention phones, if you're seriously looking to target the Apple ecosystem you'll likely want the macbook for that since it is required for the official build tools.

However, if you really want a Windows box because it will be your main computer and you want to run all the latest games, do that instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement