🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Crawling out of the uncanny valley

Started by
1 comment, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 9 months ago

This is quite an impressive demo. It's not 100% there yet (certainly not in motion), but this is impressively close to a photo-real face and in real time too.

Would be interested to know how usable this in an actual game (i.e. is it insanely expensive to render?)

Note: I have nothing to do with this, I just thought it was cool.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement
28 minutes ago, ChaosEngine said:

Would be interested to know how usable this in an actual game (i.e. is it insanely expensive to render?)

Very likely to be used. When the camera gets this closeup on a character in Unreal you can use a body part LOD to swap to this insane high poly mesh. The resources that would have been used for rendering the world then goes directly into rendering only that face and a small background.

The Unreal engine was build with this kind of teck in mind. It's only one step up from what is already used.

There is some downsides. The head needs 3-4 normal maps, not really that bad when using tools like Zbrush that allow for topology move. Then there is the fact that the head in that scene was made by a small team, so this will be expensive to start. To simulate the muscles moving a skinned mesh and boxes is used, if done on a lower end PC they will fail and leave vertices to move at a slower rate causing sharp spikes.

These are all normal teething problems and you can expect to see it in new released games soon as in the games being made now has it in there development.

It has a Bake option also, that is much more stable and looks just as good.

Important to note that this is only for cut scenes, your in game character isn't that complex and at the range a normal camera is from a character that level of detail is smaller than a pixel.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement