🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Youtube for developer, any tip ?

Started by
15 comments, last by noisechip 7 years, 1 month ago
Two years ago i made a video series showing how to create a platformer-like-game from scratch in java, trying to teach fundamentals, rendering, math, physics, all that stuff.

At first it was indented to show one single buddy of mine how to program games in java, but i ended up putting it on on youtube.

It was working great and i made tons of progress and got better in each episode.
Unfortunatly after ~100 episodes i had to stop, because i had no time anymore :-(

It was fun and i got some positive feedback, but on the downside i made tons of mistakes.
Major mistake was the retakes some episodes required, which increased the time for each episode a lot.
Also i underestimated how hard it is to speak and code at the same time.
But after all it was fun and a good experience for me.

If i would make something again in that direction, i would definitily do it much better:

- Be more prepared and do some test-videos first
- Replacing my noisy chair with a silent one
- Use a actual mic, not a headset!
- Find a way to never require any retakes <- This was my biggest problem and time killer!
- Use C instead of java
- Dont be shy
- Draw more slowly, so people can actually read it :D
- Use better titles: Devlog is the wrong name for a teaching programming series!
- Optionally speak english, even though i am not speaking it natively (so i would get better at it)

If someone is interested, here is one random episode (german only):
Advertisement
Thanks, i'll check it out.

A lot of suggestions, really interesting.

I do my videos on Spanish ( native ) and English, mostly the same content.

Thanks !

Thanks, i'll check it out.

A lot of suggestions, really interesting.

I do my videos on Spanish ( native ) and English, mostly the same content.

Thanks !

How do you do it?
Do you record it initially in spanish and then make a separate video in english?
Or do you add the english translation as a post process afterwards?
I record two different videos.

Mostly featuring the same "issues" but sometimes i forgot to say or add one thing in one of the videos.

I recommend to record first with the native language and just finish the first and record the second so you still have in mind something like a "script".

I'm starting to get subscribers, unless i didn't apply yet the suggestions posted here.

I think the issue about think more about the content is the best point, as newtechnology said.

Also recommend posting updates in the GameDev.net Blogs. You'll get more attention than forum posts.

Otherwise, good content always wins views. It's very prevalent in the Blogs we have here - the more the member contributes the more feedback and views they receive, which is how it's supposed to work.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Thanks for the comment, i'll try to set a gamedev blog.

Thanks !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement