🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Lowest price/ steam key scammers have offered you

Started by
3 comments, last by slayemin 7 years, 3 months ago

I've got a few games on steam, and scammers offer me $.10/key for 10k keys pretty regularly. Then I got this message

So basically i want to buy 10k keys each game. I offer 250 $ paypal. So i'm really interested cards being added to second game :)

$250/20k keys... $0.025 per key

Maybe with the market transactions included it would come out to .035~ per key, but come on.

*edit* it's .0125 per key, but I'll let my bad math serve as an example on why to not do math off the top of your head *edit*

This is my main account: https://www.gamedev.net/user/206824-conquestor3/

But google logins aren't working right now, so this is my temporary one.

Advertisement

Of course you take their offers every time right? How else are you going to make $250 for 10,000 copies? ;-)

I personally find these sorts of things hilarious as they actually get suckers to bite. Like seriously, my uncle is a wealthy Nigerian who needs to get some funds out of the country, I don't have enough money to help myself but if you send him money to get things going, he'll give you 1 billion dollars! Like, younger people still fall for this crap. (older people I forgive in most cases).

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

It can make sense for games at the VERY end of their lifecycle (like, 0-5 units per month sold), but generally I just haggle with them to see how high I can get them, and never actually take a payment/send any keys.

One Russian scammer offered me .20/key which I'm pretty sure there's no way to profit from on his part.

This is my main account: https://www.gamedev.net/user/206824-conquestor3/

But google logins aren't working right now, so this is my temporary one.

One Russian scammer offered me .20/key which I'm pretty sure there's no way to profit from on his part.

Simple - he pays you with money from a stolen credit card. That way, he effectively pays 0.0/key.

I just automatically delete any of those types of emails. Not worth my time to even write a reply.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement