🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Windows Phone :Sinking Ship or Submarine!

Started by
16 comments, last by RnzCpp 7 years, 5 months ago
Some thoughts about when the windows phone 8 was announced. One key factor that I saw promising was that these smartphones are built on the base of Windows RT platform.
Its not right to compress all the windows epic into few words, but a corollary to that from what I know from the past is that, It was windows RT as the base of all windows operating systems, right from window 3, 95,98,2000,etc... all were priced the same, with little drop in the prices over the decades. The same thing with improvement, rewriting the whole code of the OS was also stated in these software. The hardware was obeying the Moores law. But OS software doing similar too! Now this is difficult to digest! Free OS are really doing good. Some Countries administration has gone to using fully open source software.

But currently the markets have changed."On windows Phone scenario,The operating system dropped from a 1.2 per cent market share at the end of 2015, to a new low of 0.3 per cent by the end of Microsoft's third financial quarter in 2016." says an article from a news website just recently.

It would be good to get views about all this, like would windows phone make a comeback. Is windows phone sinking ship or a submarine that will rise in future!
Thank you.
Advertisement
There aren't really any motivators for people to get a Windows Phone, IMO. I say this as an exclusive Windows Phone user. My purchase condition was literally (isSmartphone && !isAndroid && !isIPhone).

There is a lot of speculation recently about "Surface Phone" rumors, but it'll have to be something significantly more impressive than their existing phones to increase their market share.

I think MS is focusing on software. As long as developers are using VS and/or .Net they will always have a strong hand. You don't see android/iphone devs clamoring to use apple/google software and I think that says something.

VS and .Net are great.

However: I helped port one of our games at work to Windows Phone (and Metro, back when it was being called that). We used Unity3D and it was a massive pain in the ass to get everything working on WP8 and Metro. If you have to do anything outside of Unity (in other words: plugins, facebook login, stuff like that) it's just a nightmare. We and Microsoft signed a contract for Microsoft to fund the project, which is pretty much the only reason we didn't abandon it. Other projects in my company have been mostly avoiding Windows ports ever since.

If you're not using Unity you might have better luck. Or you might have to do everything by hand.

cross platform support is really important in my opinion. Users shouldnt be locked into an OS through apps especially when that OS is literally raking in 30% of revenue from small companies. The phone industry is very anti-competitive at the moment. If this gets fixed and consumers can buy phones based on the quality of the phone (not concerned about losing data/apps) then we could see 3rd place phone OS's gaining ground but until then they are pretty snookered.

Also, everytime I go to buy a new phone the sellers tries to ram iphone down my throat, followed by android then at the very end they sigh "so, you really do want a windows phone?". Thats seriously screwed up imo.

cross platform support is really important in my opinion. Users shouldnt be locked into an OS through apps especially when that OS is literally raking in 30% of revenue from small companies. The phone industry is very anti-competitive at the moment. If this gets fixed and consumers can buy phones based on the quality of the phone (not concerned about losing data/apps) then we could see 3rd place phone OS's gaining ground but until then they are pretty snookered.

Also, everytime I go to buy a new phone the sellers tries to ram iphone down my throat, followed by android then at the very end they sigh "so, you really do want a windows phone?". Thats seriously screwed up imo.

Times have changed. I don't really see myself as being locked in to anything now. Everything is in the cloud and I don't need to plug my device into anything. iCloud, Googledrive, Dropbox, Amazon Storage and Azure are accessible across iPhone, Windows and Android so it doesn't matter what device I have as I can access my files from everywhere.
Spotify, Tidle and others have replaced buying music with streaming so my music is accessible everywhere, Netflix, Amazon Prime have replaced buying movies so I can watch my Films anywhere.

The only thing that is locked in are the apps (at least on iPhone) so if you have an Android phone and an iPad and you want the same app on both you would need to buy it twice. Even this isn't as bad as it sounds as the majority of the apps I use are free with subscriptions (Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime etc..).

Some thoughts about when the windows phone 8 was announced. One key factor that I saw promising was that these smartphones are built on the base of Windows RT platform.
Its not right to compress all the windows epic into few words, but a corollary to that from what I know from the past is that, It was windows RT as the base of all windows operating systems, right from window 3, 95,98,2000,etc... all were priced the same, with little drop in the prices over the decades. The same thing with improvement, rewriting the whole code of the OS was also stated in these software. The hardware was obeying the Moores law. But OS software doing similar too! Now this is difficult to digest! Free OS are really doing good. Some Countries administration has gone to using fully open source software.

But currently the markets have changed."On windows Phone scenario,The operating system dropped from a 1.2 per cent market share at the end of 2015, to a new low of 0.3 per cent by the end of Microsoft's third financial quarter in 2016." says an article from a news website just recently.

It would be good to get views about all this, like would windows phone make a comeback. Is windows phone sinking ship or a submarine that will rise in future!
Thank you.

As for Sinking Ship or Submarine. The answer is neither. It never really left the docks.

Microsoft hasn't invested anywhere near the amount of resources into this as they need to. They are focusing on Azure and cloud computing and going after IBM and Ciscos business and spending less money on their consumer operations such as XBOX and Phone.

One of my reasons for using Android is how well Chrome integrates itself as an environment on all my devices. For example, before I go out, I look up where I'm going on the computer. Then when I'm in the car, I dock my phone, bring up recent tabs on Chrome, find the one I just opened on my PC with the map, and click navigate, It's simple and it just works. From what I understand, Apple users have a similar digital ecosystem, though I think they're less likely to switch to MS than Android users.. Until Microsoft can bring out a browser better than Chrome and make it a big part of both the desktop and mobile environment, I see no reason to switch to a Windows phone.

The reason I am still using Windows Phone is that I believe it's best in UI and UX terms among all three and reason I am still using 5 years old Lumia 920 is that stupid "marketing" of Microsoft phones making most models practically not available in many countries including mine.

Also last Lumia (x50 series) models had a serious fault of missing transition model. Lumia 650 was a mid-end phone with modest hardware but next step 950/950 XL was high end with 2K resolution. There should be a successor to Lumia 920/925/930 line and 950/950 XL are actually successor of 1520. (There are also HP Elite X3 and Alcatel Idol 4S but not groundbreaking in market terms)

Microsoft abandoned old Windows Phone 8.1 users (including me) and Windows 10 phones aren't widely available so drop in market share is understandable as actually Nokia's main selling line was low-end phones like Lumia 520 or 620.

Imo, Microsoft did most of what wrong thing could be done in the book but "my problem" is Windows Mobile is best OS out there for me. They probably want to stay out of mobile business during transition from Windows 10/Phone/RT to One Single Platform thing. Ok but Microsoft needs aggressive and competitive pricing in their future phones otherwise no matter how good it is , it will end like Blackberry.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

I'm fairly sure I read that MS are quietly abandoning WP. It's a shame because the OS was really, really nice in many ways although they took out lots of the good bits in WP8 and apparently WP10 they took out even more.

I had a Lumia 610 (WP7) and the 1020 (WP8) and liked them a lot except for lack of apps and very poor web-browsing experience.

I've now moved to Android (1+3) and am not that impressed.

I don't believe MS had such luxury to abandon mobile phones, maybe just maybe ( they recently introduced x86 support for Qualcomm ARM processors said to be with a satisfying performance ) there will be one Windows 10 customized for mobile devices.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement