🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

quitting

Started by
21 comments, last by phil67rpg 7 years, 5 months ago

well I have decided that I suck at programming, so I have I am going into network engineering and computer technician work. I have my A+ and Network+ certifications and 4-5 years of experience, this should get my foot in the door so to speak. wish me all the best in my new career path.

Advertisement

You've asked a lot of questions over the past several years, but as you point out, you've never really pushed beyond the basics. (Or as you put it, "suck at programming".)

In that same time frame many people have gone from young students to industry professionals. It takes hard work, dedication, and brainpower. Mostly hard work.

I've wondered if this day would come. I hope you find something that satisfies you.

Good luck on your new venture.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Good luck Phil.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Not everyone is cut out for being a programmer, it takes a certain mindset and not everyone enjoys it.

I hope you do well in your future career :)
Good luck!

My ex-fiancee did the same thing.

A bright girl - but not gods gift to programming. not a bad programmer - just not particularly talented or gifted at it. She was a teachers aid in CS in high school. got a B.A. in CS at virginia tech. worked for Mobil Oil as a programmer for her engineering co-op. Got a full time job with Mobil after graduation. After a few years, the programming tasks got more complex (distributed computing and telephony), and she was somewhat out of her depth. She eventually transferred to network engineering. Configuring routers was much more her speed. She now works for a network engineering subcontractor. So the transition from programming to networks is not uncommon, and can be done successfully. In her case, it also probably increased job security / marketability. she was doing in-house vertical market software programming at Mobil. There's a much bigger demand for network engineers than there is for "oil company software" developers.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Sorry to see you go, but good luck with the future.

thanks for all the positive feedback

You're likely to get the best of both worlds.

As stated, Network Engineering is huge right now. Knowing how to configure enterprise Cisco & Juniper routers/switches/firewalls is a in demand skill. And, also the industry is on the cusp of virtualization. That is, Network Engineers who happen to know how to code, and can automate certain networking tasks, and dynamically handle traffic flows with different protocols with a scripting language, like Python, is even MORE in demand, and luckily, it pays well. So Welcome Aboard :^)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement