🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone has any experience with Cyber security?

Started by
14 comments, last by kuroro_san 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm interested in Cyber security, I wanna see what exactly people do in this field. A description of the job and maybe the problems you might encounter would be super!

Advertisement

It's a big field and one I've had a fair bit of experience with and written chapters of books on.

What exactly do you want to know? How about some more direct questions? :D

Edit: Chapter 7 of this one is mine as is chapters 13-16 of this one, they're quite dated now, though...

You know the forum is full of programmers and that programmers know about that common mistakes are done too frequently, but... stuff. I can still imagine people concatenating sql queries.

That's kind of like asking what it's like to have a job in Hollywood.

Are you talking about actors? Or one of the dozens of other career choices that work less visibly but just as vitally on every production?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I wanna see what exactly people do in this field.

Eating their chips while mumbling something about resetting your passwords.

I wanna see what exactly people do in this field.

Eating their chips while mumbling something about resetting your passwords.

Nah, sometimes things like this:

https://twitter.com/braindigitalis/status/819653025098846214

I don't really think I can home in on any specific role. Not only can't I pinpoint a job title I don't even faintly know what does someone do in a cyber security field.

Could anyone provide me common job titles?

I don't really think I can home in on any specific role. Not only can't I pinpoint a job title I don't even faintly know what does someone do in a cyber security field. This is why I asked for your experiences and job titles so I could at least have some vision but I guess this was not good enough......

Well, a lot of people involved in cyber security are volounteers, so they don't have official job titles, except perhaps some researchers (and those that work in the antivirus industry - which has its share of general IT guys, marketing guys, software devs etc, not just infosec guys).

I'm an IT manager and software developer by trade as my official job title, but cyber security is one of my sidelines, and something i big up on my resume.

It's an industry you can easily get into if you are determined, by volounteering and stumbling across bugs, declaring them the right way, and/or patching them.

I don't really think I can home in on any specific role. Not only can't I pinpoint a job title I don't even faintly know what does someone do in a cyber security field. This is why I asked for your experiences and job titles so I could at least have some vision but I guess this was not good enough......

Well, a lot of people involved in cyber security are volounteers, so they don't have official job titles, except perhaps some researchers (and those that work in the antivirus industry - which has its share of general IT guys, marketing guys, software devs etc, not just infosec guys).

I'm an IT manager and software developer by trade as my official job title, but cyber security is one of my sidelines, and something i big up on my resume.

It's an industry you can easily get into if you are determined, by volounteering and stumbling across bugs, declaring them the right way, and/or patching them.

You get paid to break into networks?

You get paid to break into networks?

No, and that's not what most people involved in cyber security do.

Most people find holes in things (bugs, vulnerabilities, whatever you call them) and report them to the responsible people to be fixed - there are documented ways of doing this that prevent abuse by third parties. Once the bug is declared as patched, the researcher gets credit for their find.

Note that some bugs are easy to find whilst others are HARD to find.

Also some places offer a reward for bugs found, e.g. the magento online store project. in this way, yes, technically you're being payed to break into software (NOT networks).

Being paid to break into a network is something called penetration testing, which is generally done with written prior consent at an hourly rate. The list of what you will and won't do is signed off before you start, as are the hours when you'll be doing the test.

Non-automated penetration tests cost serious money, so if you know what you're doing there's serious money to be made.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement