🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why people hate Defold

Started by
4 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 7 years, 6 months ago

I seen how one good man just self destroyed on reddit because of to much hates related to the defold game engine (currently powered by king). He was not from defold or king team and just showed his opinion.

The question is. Does anyone really believe that in era when unity and ue4 are almost free for indies and there is another bunch of engines it's still possible that one giant company will grows own big community and after that will just tell "sorry indies you are out of lives"?

[attachment=34418:Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 15.52.52.png]

p.s. I'm not from defold team, and just trying to use it in my simple 2d game.

Advertisement

Huh?

I've never even heard of this game engine.

Does anyone really believe that in era when unity and ue4 are almost free for indies and there is another bunch of engines it's still possible that one giant company will grows own big community and after that will just tell "sorry indies you are out of lives"?

If you are asking if I think there is space in the middleware marketplace for another player on the scale of Unreal or Unity, then the answer is yes (which is not the same as it being easy). If you're asking if I think there is space in the middleware marketplace for an engine that demands an "energy mechanic" of its users to use the way many mobile games demand such a mechanic to play, then no, that's ridiculous and will never gain significant traction.

If you're asking anything else, I can't parse your English, so perhaps you could try rephrasing?

No idea what "Defold" is or what its situation is, but sure this can happen with anything that is owned or patented by a company or a person. That company or person has control, and will make decisions in its/his own favor if the advantages are larger than the disadvantages.

Some examples:

- Microsoft declares XP obsolete

- Oracle buys Java

- Chrome discontinues Flash support

Way less dramatic, but nonetheless if you relied on the old way of support, you're basically out of luck no matter what.

Not sure what you're saying. Maybe more context is needed.

I had to google that name (never heard of it before), but the first hit gets me to a site which is apparently the project's home. It very clearly says "free, no hidden cost, no royalties" and "download here". I can't see it saying "you are out of lives, indies" anywhere.

Seems to be a Swedish two-man-with-scary-beards team located in one guy's apartment, rather than a giant company. At least, that's what their website says. One of them looks like the crazy dude from the Vikings TV series.

to be more clear here is a thread on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/5k7b27/2d_focused_devs_who_want_small_download_size_high/

And most of thread where someone mention "defold" bunch of people just start typing like, defold is bad because it's owned by king and could not be trusted.

Don't want to advertise them but they say that all next project on king would be made only on defold. Actually I don't know why they made it public.

I just see here opportunity when one big company trying to make success story across newbie indies. you don't know but example on this cdc they sponsor 16 places for indie teams (air tickets, ocomodation, cdc tickets). And when last time when they gave me the tickets to local conference and the booth, they didn't even ask me to mention that the game made on defold, or something else.

Never heard of Defold but I can say as is I won't use it; It's not that great of a 2D engine.

"We might change stuff-" Is a good summary of how the whole license is written, it feels a bit unprofessional almost as if it's all written by a company attempting to be "edgy" when they should be focused and professional.

Many developers will risk there livelihood on making games, they want reassurance that they can make money from there games with out dealing with legal terms of the engine they use.

Defold could one day shape to be a good engine as is there is just so many better 2D engines that there is no need to take risks with Defold for developers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement