🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GAMEDEV01 - a middling alcoholic tries to make games

Started by
16 comments, last by makabre 7 years, 5 months ago

Hello - my name is Max Murray, I am one of those independant game developers some of you may of been hearing about. I've been making games for android and pc for a little over a year now with some middling results. It's only now I decided to compartmentalize my thoughts into a Youtube series explaining what I'm doing, what games I have gone and done, how good they are (if that). And if I'm successful - some yuks. Here is the first in the series

and its follow up here

So what I am asking you guys is if this series is any good? I have seen alot of youtubers in my time and if theres one thing I don't want to do is emulate the hyperbolic happy tubers who seem like they're on valium and crack.

I'm hoping if anything to get some sort feedback on my games as well document my own path developing games getting (hopefully) better and better.

anyways - I hope you do enjoy the video. And if you are interested in anything I say or the look of what I make, please let me know!

Newest Video with changes suggested by this Forum!

Advertisement

Here's my feedback: I'm not a big fan of the video format you used. Too many memes, trying too hard to be funny / clever. I just care about the game, the game play, and maybe what it took to make it and what lessons I can learn from your efforts, good or bad. If the average attention span is 5-10 seconds, you need to get to the meat of your content within 5-10 seconds of the video. Introduce yourself. What did you do? Show it. Talk about it. Go into details. Don't worry if the frame / idea / thought takes 30-60 seconds to complete, I have the attention span. What I don't have patience for is a switch to five different reddit memes in the span of five seconds as a sentence is read out loud.

Reminds me of MindWipe

I quite liked them. I thought the camera was a bit too close to your face, it felt quite personal, a tad awkward.

Here's my feedback: I'm not a big fan of the video format you used. Too many memes, trying too hard to be funny / clever. I just care about the game, the game play, and maybe what it took to make it and what lessons I can learn from your efforts, good or bad. If the average attention span is 5-10 seconds, you need to get to the meat of your content within 5-10 seconds of the video. Introduce yourself. What did you do? Show it. Talk about it. Go into details. Don't worry if the frame / idea / thought takes 30-60 seconds to complete, I have the attention span. What I don't have patience for is a switch to five different reddit memes in the span of five seconds as a sentence is read out loud.

Agree with this. Definitely try to get right too it or you'll lose viewers.

Hello Mr slayemin

I appreciate your honesty and forthrightness - I see what you mean regarding the jumpcut nature of the video format. I come from an editing background in media and we are encouraged to treat the audience as dismissive, and thus must throw a barrage of imagery at the viewer to keep their attention span. That combined with a need to please - and I'm sure my insecurities shine through in the form of overindulgence in irreverant ramblings. I am planning on setting up another video soon regarding elements within the software I use and will take what you said on board and restrain from 'overindulgence' as well as getting top the crux of said ramblings sooner rather than later. thanks again

Reminds me of MindWipe

I have no idea who Mr/Mrs Mindwipe is but will surely look into this as I have been away all weekend

I quite liked them. I thought the camera was a bit too close to your face, it felt quite personal, a tad awkward.

Thankyou RivieraKid. In terms of what you did enjoy, was there anything in particular that stood out as good? also regarding the camera - I have my computer setup to my freelance DSLR camera and the shallowest lens I have currently is 50mm. Not exactly a great setup - but it gets the job done. Sadly I have to sit on the other side of the room for a better fit. But then I'm reading a script from the other side of the room. I'll invest in cheap sigma or some such for xmas.

As mentioned above - I'll shoot straight to what I'm talking about next time and hopefully will cut out alot of irreverent rambling.

Thanks guys for the critiques!

Thankyou RivieraKid. In terms of what you did enjoy, was there anything in particular that stood out as good? also regarding the camera - I have my computer setup to my freelance DSLR camera and the shallowest lens I have currently is 50mm. Not exactly a great setup - but it gets the job done. Sadly I have to sit on the other side of the room for a better fit. But then I'm reading a script from the other side of the room. I'll invest in cheap sigma or some such for xmas.

I guess I enjoyed it because I can empathize with you. Up until 2016 i lived in London and I've wanted to get more time to focus on game development projects. Even though I enjoy my job and I have a great employer I still wish I had the freedom to ditch it and create games. I have finished 1 game and I havent published it, but I think it would end up like your first game on google play. I also think my game is good but I doubt anyone else would.

I also don't have the same viewer history as most so I thought your delivery was funny and different.

On reflection and rewatching I think I agree with all of the points in this thread. Sorry!

I guess I enjoyed it because I can empathize with you. Up until 2016 i lived in London and I've wanted to get more time to focus on game development projects. Even though I enjoy my job and I have a great employer I still wish I had the freedom to ditch it and create games. I have finished 1 game and I havent published it, but I think it would end up like your first game on google play. I also think my game is good but I doubt anyone else would.

I also don't have the same viewer history as most so I thought your delivery was funny and different.

On reflection and rewatching I think I agree with all of the points in this thread. Sorry!

Well - they seem apt. I'll do my best to tone done what I can. But I can't say I'll lose all of the weird stuff. I do like irreverantcy... is that a word?

Thankyou anyway!

Hello Mr slayemin

I appreciate your honesty and forthrightness - I see what you mean regarding the jumpcut nature of the video format. I come from an editing background in media and we are encouraged to treat the audience as dismissive, and thus must throw a barrage of imagery at the viewer to keep their attention span. That combined with a need to please - and I'm sure my insecurities shine through in the form of overindulgence in irreverant ramblings. I am planning on setting up another video soon regarding elements within the software I use and will take what you said on board and restrain from 'overindulgence' as well as getting top the crux of said ramblings sooner rather than later. thanks again

Reminds me of MindWipe

I have no idea who Mr/Mrs Mindwipe is but will surely look into this as I have been away all weekend

As mentioned above - I'll shoot straight to what I'm talking about next time and hopefully will cut out alot of irreverent rambling.

Thanks guys for the critiques!

Sorry totally didn't want to sound negative. Tbh I like the way you had it but I think the majority of people are different from me and have tiny attention spans. This is the Vine/IG era where videos are like 7-30 seconds long at most! Keep up the good work though bro!

This is the age we live in now... Will be uploading a new video later tonight or tomorrow with some new changes to the system - Hope its a little better

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement