Advertisement

This is a joke! (US Presidential Election Thread)

Started by October 31, 2016 12:15 AM
209 comments, last by rip-off 7 years, 10 months ago

And let's be honest: given the votes that have come in so far, Trump is now as likely to win as Clinton seemed yesterday. This is surprising.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

And let's be honest: given the votes that have come in so far, Trump is now as likely to win as Clinton seemed yesterday. This is surprising.

Yea, but a lot of votes are still out. So let's see what happens.

But it's starting to look like Brexit again, which is fucking frightening.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement

I'll be totally honest, I really didn't want Trump to win, but I'm going to optimistic about his presidency despite this. I think it's up to him now to vehemently disown the racist movements who supported him (even if he ultimately needed them to win), get people who actually understand world affairs on his team, and, you know, prove everyone wrong who said he was going to be the worst person ever.

Everyone's going to know he won without a majority or a plurality of the popular vote. If he wants to be a real "winner" he needs to heal these divisions, and on some level the fact that he's (now almost certainly) going to win the presidency speaks to his ability to defy expectations.

I'm curious as to why no one seems to be seriously considering the possibility of faithless electors, since a) I expect a lot of them are still very opposed to Trump and b) Trump will not win the popular vote. It's probably for the best if this doesn't happen, since this would just mobilize the most extreme and conspiratorial members of Trump's base (and obviously be offensive a huge set of not-crazy people), but it is an interesting curiosity.

Hope they changed the nukes codes from 00000000 to something more childproof.
"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/
Christ America, WTF have you done?

Is this some kind of bizarre competition between you and the UK as to who can commit the most stupidly self-destructive act in a vote?

The mind boggles...
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement

holy shit. if anything good comes of this it will be the realisation of what happens if you don't educate your work force properly.

Wonder what the results of the election would have been if the Democrats hadn't screwed Sanders out of any chance of winning?

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Hope they changed the nukes codes from 00000000 to something more childproof.

This made me smile actually, and laugh. Thanks so much for this.

Christ America, WTF have you done?

Is this some kind of bizarre competition between you and the UK as to who can commit the most stupidly self-destructive act in a vote?

The mind boggles...

Shy Trump voters helped him win, basically. There was record rural white turnout.

holy shit. if anything good comes of this it will be the realisation of what happens if you don't educate your work force properly.

This is so true. This is really going to underscore the need for education.

I'm curious as to why no one seems to be seriously considering the possibility of faithless electors, since a) I expect a lot of them are still very opposed to Trump and b) Trump will not win the popular vote. It's probably for the best if this doesn't happen, since this would just mobilize the most extreme and conspiratorial members of Trump's base (and obviously be offensive a huge set of not-crazy people), but it is an interesting curiosity.

Trump didn't win the popular vote. It looks like he lost by about 40,000. This is a bit rare, to be honest.

I'll be totally honest, I really didn't want Trump to win, but I'm going to optimistic about his presidency despite this. I think it's up to him now to vehemently disown the racist movements who supported him (even if he ultimately needed them to win), get people who actually understand world affairs on his team, and, you know, prove everyone wrong who said he was going to be the worst person ever.

Everyone's going to know he won without a majority or a plurality of the popular vote. If he wants to be a real "winner" he needs to heal these divisions, and on some level the fact that he's (now almost certainly) going to win the presidency speaks to his ability to defy expectations.

Look, I'll be honest, being optimistic is a little tough. After this entire election, and everything that's gone down, it's scary to imagine what's next. We are now in a realm of unprecedented uncertainty. I've never been this frightened. One thing, however, is certain.

History will look back on this day and mark it as the day American hegemony, and the West, declined. This is the end of America's "superpower" status, and possibly the end of Western dominance in world affairs.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Wonder what the results of the election would have been if the Democrats hadn't screwed Sanders out of any chance of winning?

I wonder what the results would have been with a different election system.. (For example, it's easy to imagine a system where one would primarily vote for a party, but optionally also vote for a person within that party)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement