🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Nintendo NX/Switch

Started by
20 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 7 years, 8 months ago

So the Nintendo NX finally has been revealed. It's officially called the Nintendo Switch.

An article with console details - http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13345120/nintendo-switch-nx-console-everything-we-know

This iteration is finally, IMO, on the right track. Yeah, the hardware is between last-gen and last-last-gen. But it's so functional and makes so much sense. Plus, it's not gimmicky. And it's all about the games, games, games. From what I've seen so far, Nintendo is on its way to not losing this round of the console wars.

Thoughts? Expectations? Predictions? Interests?

NOTE: Switch vs Pro vs Scorpio comparisons are cool, but don't turn it into a flame war please.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

Looks kind of fun. They only showed it playing games; does that mean it doesn't also double up as a Netflix player and general tablet?

I'm a bit doubtful. Handhelds are dying in an era where mobile gaming is taking most of the market there. Against consoles it simply won't fair because of graphical inferiority. Now it's true that graphics aren't everything, but at the same time, unless every game is Minecraft, where creation is the sole focus, the standard on most AAA games is to have a certain level of graphical capability.

To be fair, the 3DS did fair fairly well, so maybe there is something there.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

If i had 2 children, i'd prefer this over any other gaming platform.

I doupt the older audience they show in the video wanna carry it beside their mobiles?

Maybe targeting 'family' instead 'friends' would do better. It did well for Wii.

I doupt the older audience they show in the video wanna carry it beside their mobiles?

If you're carrying around tablets, phablets, or laptops, then you'd have no problem carrying that around. For strictly games, some would rather carry a Switch around than a general-purpose or a laptop.

The difference is that I carry my phone and laptop around because I need them to do my work. My phone and laptop also do a pretty decent job at some general gaming when needed, so asking me to carrying another device along with them? Well then it had best be very good at its job. I carry around cases full of camera gear from time to time because I can do things with a pair of SLR cameras, a bag of lenses, and a stack of lighting gear that I simply can't reliably achieve with the little camera in my phone.

So what exactly will this thing achieve for me that my laptop and phone, that I'm already carrying, couldn't have done on their own?

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

So what exactly will this thing achieve for me that my laptop and phone, that I'm already carrying, couldn't have done on their own?

Play good games. Quickly surf the internet. Like a tablet made for games. My comment was in the context of gamers. Not random photographers.

Play good games. Quickly surf the internet. Like a tablet made for games. My comment was in the context of gamers. Not random photographers.

What is the demand to play "good" games on the move? As far as i can tell most people want to play crap games. Time fillers - simple games.

Do you really want to experience the final battle of some awesome rpg on the train or in the comfort of your living room?

I think if it also came with android it could be onto something. there needs to be a compelling reason to take a device with you especially when it is competing against the non-gaming market. Gamers and especially those games that leave the house a lot are mostly adults.

I share the thought that the first impression looks promising. Now we have to wait and see. For "family gamers", which I believe is still Nintendo's primary target group, it looks like a nice next step.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

I'm a bit skeptical about the Switch. However, I can tell I'm one of those gamers who likes to play longer, AAA-like titles on the go. I commute almost 2 hours and this is a perfect time to play on the go. I spent lots of time with the flagship Vita games ( Killzone, Uncharted, Gravity Rush ) and at some point, such games ran out. So my interest in Vita did too. I don't mind to play a boss fight on the train if only I can quickly suspend the game and resume later. Being able to play the same game at home ( without worrying about battery life and on the big screen ) is also something tempting. But there's one thing which doesn't convince me enough - Nintendo. I played old Nintendo games, I acknowledge their importance in the video games history but I don't find playing yet another Mario or Zelda fun anymore. They had titles that came up to be good but it was just a handful of games that could hook me in and make me spend hours playing.

Well, there's this other "competitor" - mobiles. I usually have a gamepad with a clip ( MOGAPro ) that not only can turn my mobile phone into a small handheld gaming console but can also extend the battery life a little bit. I played a couple of games like that and it was a really great experience. Shame there are only few that support it. So this is a field on which mobiles won't be any competitor to Switch. Despite the mobiles can support a controller, the games rarely use that. The mobile market took a turn at some point towards 'free-to-play- experience and titles like old Gameloft games ( "Modern Combat", "Gangstar" etc. ) don't seem to appear anymore. Yeah, I know these were "cheap ripoffs" but also it was closest to what could be considered "a console experience on a mobile device". That's why I found Vita so appealing.

So here, in the middle of this, the Nintendo is. It's very important question who is a target audience for Switch. I think people like me could be the audience if only Nintendo lets more variety into their titles. Although, it's still too early to make any judgments on it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement