🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Week of Awesome IV ! - Fourth annual unofficial gamedev.net competition - Administration thread.

Started by
86 comments, last by SilviuShader 7 years, 11 months ago

I forgot to mention that my team name is "Grey Army".

Advertisement

It seams I will have some time to join in :D

Team: Something Fun
Members: Ryan20fun
Website/Blog/Twitter handle: Journal

Do we need to list the dependencies before the competition starts?

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

How do you mean? like vc redistributables, or ?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I believe he means do we need to list any libraries or engines that we're starting off with.

I believe he means do we need to list any libraries or engines that we're starting off with.

ah, well if that's the case. it's not a requirment, but during the first few days of the competition it can help net participation scores if you post what you are doing :)
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

How do you mean? like vc redistributables, or ?

Yes, Along with needed D3D/OGL version etc.

I remember one of the earlier competitions had people do this before the competition started so that all judges had the components needed to run the submisions.

Edit: I see that my listing in the participating teams says "Journal", I should probably have just put the link?

Here it is: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1924-ryan20funs-journal-of-rasterisation/

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

I remember one of the earlier competitions had people do this before the competition started so that all judges had the components needed to run the submisions.

If possible and legally permitted you should bundle those components or the appropriate re-distributables. Per the rules as of this writing, "games must work on the judges' platforms (that is, if you have a bug in your program and it works fine on your computer by not a judge's, you must fix it for it to be judged..." and "Games will preferably be distributed as stand-alone startables...although this doesn't mean disqualification, it will be preferred."

That means at the very least you must be able to point at what dependencies to install to run your game somewhere. I'd say in a README, since that's likely to be seen by every judge (individual postings in the participation thread may be missed or glanced over).

Judges score: 5 pnts(this score is up to each individual judge, with no individual category to hold them down, overall it's up to each judge to define what criteria they will choose for this category!)

Should we decide on what our criteria for this will be before the competition and post it, perhaps so it can be aggregated into the rules at the top of the thread? Without contestants knowing what the judges have decided to use their "swing points" on it seems like it might just be an effectively-random +0 - +5 points to any game?

I allocate 2 weeks to each judge for judging, so it's not 100% necessary, but i do recommend including at the very least a readme with instructions on what librarys the game is dependent on, however including those redistributable's is likely to save time. However it'll also probably be safe to assume most judges have many of the common redistributables(such as msvc's), but it woudn't hurt to include them in your final submission archive.

Judges score: 5 pnts(this score is up to each individual judge, with no individual category to hold them down, overall it's up to each judge to define what criteria they will choose for this category!)

Should we decide on what our criteria for this will be before the competition and post it, perhaps so it can be aggregated into the rules at the top of the thread? Without contestants knowing what the judges have decided to use their "swing points" on it seems like it might just be an effectively-random +0 - +5 points to any game?

certainly, for me i plan to use my 5 points for those entrys that are either technically impressive(i.e: using their own home built frameworks/engines), or games that end up ticking my fancy personally.
I do expect this category to have some bias added in, so I don't recommend contestants look at it as something they can/can't get, as it does come down to each judge's own additional criteria, it'll help/boost you slightly, but it's not a category that any contestant should be trying to intentionally hit.

we are also coming into the last weekend before the competition, i hope your all getting some good rest for next week! :)

Lastly, i'd like to thank bacterius, who is going to be our 4th judge for this year!

we are also coming into the last weekend before the competition, i hope your all getting some good rest for next week!

Rest LOL. I have 3 kids and am currently moving my studio and have just finished up my summer camps for 2016. I don't know what rest is.

Last year was an awesome experience. This year I will not participate but I would like to give a prize to the team which will use a custom engine and will impress me most. The prize will be a Dark Souls III Digital Copy for each team member. Maybe if is possible when you post your entry to specify that is made in a custom engine so it will be easier for me to sort eligible teams :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement