🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Replacement open/save file dialog?

Started by
-1 comments, last by irreversible 8 years, 2 months ago

My day work entails a fair amount of meddling with Premiere Pro and Photoshop and while I am a fairly outspoken supporter of Adobe's software in general, there are two things that are absolutely abhorrent to me: their worldwide pricing policy (which, however, is a different topic) and the fact that over the past 15 or so years they haven't taken a single look at a component that most people use all the time: the open/save file dialog. Frequently used folders list? Dream on. Recent paths or favorites? Get outta here. Back and forward controls? Well you do have the back button on a newer platform, but only having that is kind of like using the built-in web browser on Android*. It's not like they couldn't afford to roll their own.

While I'm outlining primarily Adobe products as they're the most prominent in my work, this applies to all applications that use the default open/save dialog.

Later Windows versions mitigate these issues somewhat by implementing the Quick Access bar into the control, so you can at least have a few system-wide shortcuts, but frankly that's kind of stupid, because I want my shortcuts and favorites confined to the application that I'm actually using them in. That said, I'm sure someone has felt the same and has built an awesome replacement open/save dialog that hijacks the system default. However quick googling isn't really turning up anything useful. Anyone have any suggestions?

* in all fairness, I think the Android browser does have a forward option if you spend enough time scouring for it :ph34r:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement