🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

1-1/2 years have passed

Started by
11 comments, last by trowtlip 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm more interested in what type of game are you making? What is this beast that takes +6 years of development to an already existing 1.5 years?

6 years are not an unreasonable estimate for a lone wolf part time even IF the game is actually quite small.

Don't forget the economics of scale. If a team of 4 would spend 6 months on a game, a single lone wolf dev will spend more than 6 months * 4 on it, because he cannot specialize (lets say 3 years).

If the lone wolf dev now works part time (the TO said he spends above average time on it, lets make it about 20 hours or about half the normal work week of a fulltime dev), that 3 years double to 6 years.

Even IF the dev can save time with outsourcing work, he will spend the time he saved in marketing and business topics. And then some more.

How big a game can a team of 4 produce in 6 months? Not going to be anywhere near AAA. Even the "No mans sky" crew, which cut corners extensively with procedural generation and a non-realistic art style, was 10-15 people strong and spent quite some years on the game.

A lone wolf dev talking about 6 years just means reasonable estimates, and a not too small scope (nowhere near big, mind you).

Is it a good idea to work so long on a single project? Maybe not, on the other hand, some others spent more than ten years on theirs and happened to release it to quite some success, so it can work out.

Thanks for your reply! Good information on realizing development time.

Right now I have a reasonable framework going so there is some amount of pressure removed. If I got tired of this idea, I could back down to something much more simple. In another few months I'm going to leave it "open" on the web with it's limited features, and maybe blog about it. Maybe I'll generate some interest that will turn into help.

Advertisement

Right now I have a reasonable framework going so there is some amount of pressure removed. If I got tired of this idea, I could back down to something much more simple. In another few months I'm going to leave it "open" on the web with it's limited features, and maybe blog about it. Maybe I'll generate some interest that will turn into help.

Well, I found the most important things are

a) not to get to attached to things... if a project turns out to be completly overscoped, be able to shelf it without second thought. Resizing is good, but all to often much more difficult than starting over.

b) not read too much into how much time you spend on "your game dev project"... most probably your "project" has evolved into a "second job" by the time you get competent enough to actually pull something reasonable off if you are a parttimer, or your "project" is actually multiple projects done in quick succession as you try to keep over water while striving to find that one game that is more than just moderately successfull if you do it fulltime.

c) not to rely too much on outside help... if you try to build something you cannot finish yourself, and you don't have big pockets to begin with, you project will never be finished. Professional work demands professional level wages, and amateur work will only get you so far... apart from that, working with people complicates the whole process, and unless you find someone who is just as invested into it as you are, you will most probably spend more (not money, but time) than you get back.

Keeping the project to a scope you could manage yourself, and seeing outside work as a bonus to shortcut it seems like the better idea.

Game development is never a sprint, unless you are already a very good developer, and do something small. In all other cases its a marathon.

Good luck with your game, hopefully you find help. If not, well, maybe you at least get to build a community. Which today is the most important support you can get from gamers as a dev.

Well, I found the most important things are

a) not to get to attached to things... if a project turns out to be completly overscoped, be able to shelf it without second thought. Resizing is good, but all to often much more difficult than starting over.

b) not read too much into how much time you spend on "your game dev project"... most probably your "project" has evolved into a "second job" by the time you get competent enough to actually pull something reasonable off if you are a parttimer, or your "project" is actually multiple projects done in quick succession as you try to keep over water while striving to find that one game that is more than just moderately successfull if you do it fulltime.

c) not to rely too much on outside help... if you try to build something you cannot finish yourself, and you don't have big pockets to begin with, you project will never be finished. Professional work demands professional level wages, and amateur work will only get you so far... apart from that, working with people complicates the whole process, and unless you find someone who is just as invested into it as you are, you will most probably spend more (not money, but time) than you get back.

Keeping the project to a scope you could manage yourself, and seeing outside work as a bonus to shortcut it seems like the better idea.

Game development is never a sprint, unless you are already a very good developer, and do something small. In all other cases its a marathon.

Good luck with your game, hopefully you find help. If not, well, maybe you at least get to build a community. Which today is the most important support you can get from gamers as a dev.

Thank you for the well wish and advice!

Point 'a' is interesting to me. When I started this, I considered building a basic foundation and expanding functionality later on. I was told that idea is generally a no go. I'm moving in that direction with thoughts of adding stacked, sequenced events in the future. Based on my progress so far, it seems reasonable. Early on I had dreams of RPG style play, then flip over to semi-realtime pvp encounters in a 3D environment. I've since dropped any ideas revolving around "realtime", and the need for all that collision detection and what not. There was also a dream of MMO, but that has been replaced with as "persistent as possible".

Thank you again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement