Advertisement

The first video game enemy you ever murder.

Started by April 02, 2016 05:39 AM
26 comments, last by Norman Barrows 8 years, 4 months ago

We all played games, we all murder stuff. I'm willing to bet that every member on this site have a video game body count of at least over 1000. Killing all these enemies make you forget about them but I'll never forget my first. The first video game enemy I remember destroying was a motorbug from sonic the hedgehog, after that video game enemies downgraded from "things" to "to kill notifications on my screen".

Do you remember your first?

Nope. It was probably Doom E1M1 though. Or maybe that first Goomba in Super Mario Bros. Those seem most likely.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement

It reveals my age. :angry:

I'm not sure which, but two are likely.

In the arcades, pinball didn't have deaths, and the cabinet games of the era did not really have deaths, most were like pong with balls off the screen and blocks. I remember playing Sea Wolf, but I cannot remember if I played it before or after getting the Atari.

On the Atari release titles I played, Street Racer had crashes, not deaths. Surround, the game commonly now known as Snake, probably wouldn't be counted as 'murder', just collision.

I suppose if it must be counted as such, I shot little white squares at little colored tanks and airplanes back in Combat. Later I shot aliens in Space Invaders and ghosts (can you murder ghosts?) in Pac Man.

Of the two, I'm guessing Combat was probably mine, but it might have been Sea Wolf. For those who don't know them, some youtube reference:

Fairly sure this how I popped my murder cherry as well.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Wolfenstein 3D, that guy outside the cell...

It was the first game that made me reflect about killing in games.

I'm sure I had stomped lots of goombas and other things before, and blown up a few tanks and planes too, but never really thought about it as killing.

But oh, how fun it was, to brutally murder Nazis screaming for mommy.

Also sparked my interest in 3D game programming...

It would have been a Sega master system game. Probably a car in action fighter,

Or a snail in teddy boy...

Advertisement

For me I'm pretty sure it had to be Golden Axe, on an older arcade machine (when it was released I was only 2!) and it's only vague memories. It may have also been Wolfenstein 3D, but I have more concrete memories of playing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=40&v=NIHqyfewiCg

I believe that for me as well, for killing.

Murder's a bit different though? Murder implies there's outcomes other than killing someone, and you choose to deliberately kill them.

I'd guess my first murder was Crusader:No remorse. In that game there's civilians that raise their hands, surrender, and ask you not to kill them. I never really killed them, until I realized they can drop money/items. Then I'd kill them, but feel guilty.

A punk with a switchblade in some crappy text RPG game. He wanted my shoes. I had two choices :

1) run away.
2) kill him with the lead pipe I just found.

> I choose the lead pipe.

I moved on to bigger, better things in Ultima VI.

Everything is better with Metal.

It was probably someone at Rambo III as it was the first game we spent all night to run when we got Commodore 64.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement