🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What game tools you need for game dev and didn't find it or it wasn't exactly what you were looking for?

Started by
1 comment, last by SeraphLance 8 years, 3 months ago

Hello guys,

I want to build my portfolio for a job on game development tools and I don't really have any ideas for a demo tool to make. Tiled like software came in my mind but I want to do something new. Also there are a lot of packing tools for game assets. What you suggests me? :D

Thank you a lot.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

Advertisement

Procedural tree generatior that actually is procedural all the way (no providing leaf textures, possibility to create everything in geometry including the leaves and their textures, no texture / models provided for anything, just numbers sliders and nodes as input and a full tree as output)

Write a scriptable file watching daemon.

It's common in game engines to dynamically reload files as they change. Typically, they're either written in-engine or extremely specialized for the task. The open source ones are mostly batteries-not-included single classes. What would probably be ideal is one that supports a plugin interface for both subscribing and publishing, so that users can provide their own DLLs to govern implementation for their mechanism of choice.

This is probably the only "that would be really handy" thing I've ever seen where someone hasn't already said the same thing and written it themselves. It's been on my list of neat things to do for some time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement