🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New to gamedev! introduction and making some questions already

Started by
1 comment, last by conq 8 years, 3 months ago

Hi there fellow devs around the globe!

My name is Aglomos, i'm 28 years old and i'm a indie game developer.

I have a question for you guys who's been in this job for a while already.

I've been in a steady job for the late 5 years that don't pays that well but is enough to pay the bills (rent of small apartment on the best neighborhood in my town, a nice car, food and stuff).

I am considering quitting it to focus entirely on producing mobile games and making a living of it.

I have a engine written by myself that can deliver 2D Android games without problems and performance issues.

I have a modest machine and a wacom cintiq that I use for making the graphics.

My main goal is to deliver the most beautiful design and artwork possible in my games.

I don't have dreams of making tons of money, I just dream of making a living of this passion we share.

So my questions are: what is the average income of yours? How much can I expect to earn since i'am all by myself and don't have any partners? Am I crazy?

Best regards,

Aglomos

Advertisement

This is a case by case issue. I know some who are making a decent living making indie games, but I also know some who have to "beg" for money through Patreon accounts. I make nothing at it because for me it went from being a dream job to just a hobby I do when I feel like it. It depends on your stability because I've seen devs put everything they have into it and get little to nothing back because game development, especially indie development, is high risk low yield more often than not.

I've been in a steady job for the late 5 years that don't pays that well but is enough to pay the bills (rent of small apartment on the best neighborhood in my town, a nice car, food and stuff).
I am considering quitting it to focus entirely on producing mobile games and making a living of it.

This is a BAD idea, don't gauge you profits based off on what others have done, or speculation. If you have bills to pay, develop games as a hobby so you know how much you'll make if you decide to do that full time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement