Advertisement

Looking for ideas on how to teach Game Design in a high school

Started by March 27, 2016 10:54 PM
159 comments, last by gameteacher 8 years, 5 months ago

Card games, like something along the lines of Yu-Gi-Oh?

Anyway,

a teacher once said to me "Aim low and miss.", so let's raise the hopes extra high and go with the 'fairly complex' route.

A little added stress/pressure never hurt anyone, right?

Besides, if a student has any questions, they can always just ask the teach-- erm, nevermind.

You know, a "good educator" might have found at the Autodesk University page a video called 'Teaching Core Disciplines Through Game Development' by now.

But I think where you really want to be, is here: http://www.autodesk.com/indie-game-maker/home

quick-question:

How many hours/days/weeks will your intended pupils have available to learn?

Card games, like something along the lines of Yu-Gi-Oh?

Anyway,
a teacher once said to me "Aim low and miss.", so let's raise the hopes extra high and go with the 'fairly complex' route.

A little added stress/pressure never hurt anyone, right?

Besides, if a student has any questions, they can always just ask the teach-- erm, nevermind.

You know, a "good educator" might have found at the Autodesk University page a video called 'Teaching Core Disciplines Through Game Development' by now.

But I think where you really want to be, is here: http://www.autodesk.com/indie-game-maker/home

quick-question:
How many hours/days/weeks will your intended pupils have available to learn?

Your tone is thoroughly inappropriate and you have been warned once to be polite. Please knock it off with the "subtle" digs at the OP.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Advertisement

Okay, I'm going to guess 160 hours available (2 semesters, 20 weeks per semester, ~1 hour classes, 4 days per week.)

Assuming you want 3D, it would be wise to have the mini-game already built, with students assigned to work on the main-character; converting a concept sketch (one provided by yourself) into a 3D model, followed by animating that model for the purpose of integrating it into the mini-game that you will provide.

That's the only way I see this being successful without overwhelming and stressing out the students while making it fun to learn and relevant for future study.

How does that sound?

Okay, I'm going to guess 160 hours available (2 semesters, 20 weeks per semester, ~1 hour classes, 4 days per week.)

Assuming you want 3D, it would be wise to have the mini-game already built, with students assigned to work on the main-character; converting a concept sketch (one provided by yourself) into a 3D model, followed by animating that model for the purpose of integrating it into the mini-game that you will provide.

That's the only way I see this being successful without overwhelming and stressing out the students while making it fun to learn and relevant for future study.

How does that sound?

Wow! That sounds great. But what's a mini-game? And would this work in Game Maker?

Another question for you guys:

I want to avoid as much computer stuff as possible, i.e. coding, programming, math and science. I want to focus as much as possible on the visual art aspect of video games, since art is my thing, not computer programming. What about if I gave them an introductory unit on game design and culminated that with having them create artful playing cards or game boards. Then taught them character design on paper and had them take the characters and render them in a 3d program like mudbox or one of autodesks programs. Then had them just make a simple video game where most of the stuff needed would be in the programs image library- they would have the experience of making a cool looking game without all the hours of trying to figure out computer stuff. This would mean I'd need a program that they could learn fast and/or one they could import their own images into.

Any ideas?

Wow! That sounds great. But what's a mini-game? And would this work in Game Maker?

I'm just calling it "mini" so you don't lose time overcomplicating the game. For example, limit the player-character to do only two things, run and jump. Make the game a simple level with a few obstacles to jump over to reach the finish line.

Game Maker is 2D. Let's just shelve 2D for the time being. Use Blender since it has a game engine built-in - it's just easier for a small project like this.

You are going to have to learn how 3D modelling, rigging and animating works. If there is time, you can add texturing to that list.

The last thing your students will need to do is add script (but Blender has a logic editor to make that a bit easier.) which is something else you'll have to get to know before hand.

Advertisement

random thoughts:

1 year - so about 8 months, 5 days a week, 1 hour a day. about 160 man hours. not a lot of time to work with.

you teach art, yet the class may cover much more than art. would you prefer it if the focus were more art oriented?

with individual study, you will learn the lingo and tools of making games (game development). always try to be precise with terminology when posting here. its very common for folks to require a few post until they're on the same page due to terminology (game design vs development for example).

first, i'd say its sounds like you want to teach "intro to game development", not "game design".

an overview of the development process might help here (i'll keep it simple):

1. you decide what to make.

2. you design the game. the rules of the game. how it should work. this is pen and paper work. or text editor. some folks say spreadsheets , but i personally haven't ever had the need. this is game design. nothing to do with art or computers at all. buy a copy of dungeons and dragons, classic edition. 3 pamphlets, about 40 pages each, teach you everything you'll ever need to know about good game design. balance, scaling, pacing, all of it. Dave Arneson (of Gygax and Arneson) was a rather gifted designer.

3. you choose tools to use to make the game. get or make an engine. get 3d modeling software (assuming a 3d game). get a paint program. get audio editing software. get them all to work with each other (compatible file formats for import/export).

4. you create meshes, textures, skinned meshes, skeletons, animations, level maps, music and sound effects, and probably a couple more things i forgot.

5. you import all these assets into the engine, then write scripts or code to bring them to life.

you say you want to keep it light on the coding.

perhaps the best option would be to have a simple 3d game already made, and have the class make all the graphics assets. use 3ds max education version, etc. the game would already exist when the class started, but with placeholder graphics. and by the end it would showcase the students artwork. this would be more of a "game art" class, than "game development" class. but it would also be a more real world art focused experience for the students.

real world games artist will get stuff like "make me a this, and it has to look as good as that, and you can only use 4 256x256 textures and 100 vertices total, and i need it in two hours - and no splines or convex hulls or tessellation. - oh, and rig it too, and here's the list of 37 animations we'll need. You're right! that's a lot of work! tell you what - have it ready by lunch tomorrow, the new level maps won't be ready until then. you can stay late if need be." IE the ability to create great art on demand with inadequate resources and time. teaching art students how to accomplish this would be the best possible for-the-real-world training you could ever give them.

if you're not trying to emphasize art, then there's nothing wrong with teaching "intro to game development". but the course length (IE lack of time) will limit what you can cover in a school year. i would say that teaching a 2d paint program and some 2d game engine that doesn't use scripting would be doable. 3d may not be.

you're really going to have to try it yourself first to see how fast you think you could teach this stuff to your kids.

i'd start with blender, or an academic version of 3dsmax or maya etc.

see how long it takes you to create, texture, rig, and animate a character model. that will give you a good idea of what you're up against.

if 3d starts looking like too much work, you can always go with the "game art"class idea, and just teach 3d game graphics asset creation in-depth.

or you can drop back to 2d with stuff like photoshop or gimp and game maker etc. but then you lose the coolness factor of 3d. and we all know how rare it is for anything taught in school to be "cool".

another possibility is to coordinate with the CS instructor for a join project between both classes. the CS students make the engine, and the art students create the graphics. both classes get coolness factor.

the sad fact is that with the limited length of time available, you just won't be able to teach them enough to make much of a 3D game. one character that runs around an empty Unity level using scripts you provide would probably be about it. but they would learn a lot about 3d game art.

the best thing to do is try it yourself first, and see what times are involved.

for tools, look to 3dsmax education version. maya and other may also have academic pricing programs. blender and gimp are free. photoshop is the industry standard for 2d work. they too may have an academic version.

read up a little on game design, grab some tools and start checking them out. once you get an idea of whats involved, you'll be in a much better place to judge what is "right sized" and the "right direction" for the course curriculum.

honestly, just creating a character mesh, texturing it, rigging, it, and animating it is probably enough to fill the entire school year. especially if you teach a few advanced techniques such as creating matching wardrobe, multi-part meshes with interchangeable heads/limbs, and so on. and you can always have a stupid little unity demo for the students to try their characters in. that would make the class both art focused and real-world relevant - and 3D!. gotta get that coolness factor in there! <g>. nothing makes learning easier and more fun than getting to learn cool new stuff.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Game Maker is 2D. Let's just shelve 2D for the time being. Use Blender since it has a game engine built-in - it's just easier for a small project like this.
Are you sure it's only 2d?

You are going to have to learn how 3D modelling, rigging and animating works.

Is that difficult?

you teach art, yet the class may cover much more than art. would you prefer it if the focus were more art oriented?
Yes!

first, i'd say its sounds like you want to teach "intro to game development", not "game design".

Dont students need to understand game design to do game development?

you choose tools to use to make the game. get or make an engine. get 3d modeling software (assuming a 3d game). get a paint program. get audio editing software. get them all to work with each other (compatible file formats for import/export).

Blender? Recommendations on all that stuff?

you import all these assets into the engine, then write scripts or code to bring them to life.

Please no programming or coding of any kind!

perhaps the best option would be to have a simple 3d game already made, and have the class make all the graphics assets. use 3ds max education version, etc. the game would already exist when the class started, but with placeholder graphics. and by the end it would showcase the students artwork. this would be more of a "game art" class, than "game development" class. but it would also be a more real world art focused experience for the students.

I like that!

if you're not trying to emphasize art, then there's nothing wrong with teaching "intro to game development". but the course length (IE lack of time) will limit what you can cover in a school year. i would say that teaching a 2d paint program and some 2d game engine that doesn't use scripting would be doable. 3d may not be.

I don't want to all of a sudden become a computer teacher. I want to stay an art teacher through my approach to video game making.

if 3d starts looking like too much work, you can always go with the "game art"class idea, and just teach 3d game graphics asset creation in-depth.

What about a unit of this and one doing 2d game design where kids just plug in ready made stuff?

and you can always have a stupid little unity demo for the students to try their characters in. that would make the class both art focused and real-world relevant - and 3D!. gotta get that coolness factor in there! . nothing makes learning easier and more fun than getting to learn cool new stuff.

How easy is it to create a 3d character and put it in this demo you speak of?

Yes, the work needs to look cool to keep student interest!

Here's what I'm thinking right now given all the variables I'm looking at and the advice you guys have given me:

Semester 1

Intro to game design- Teach students about the concepts behind games and culminate with them creating a board or card game as a new version of a classic game (art making)

Character design- Students learn figure drawing to a basic level and create their own character (art making). Then they recreate that character digitally (art making in maya or autodesk)

History/aesthetics/semiotics/sign systems of video games- To understand and critique media and visual culture (art history-related)

Make a video game-Using Game Star Mechanic or something else super-simple where they have limited creative options and work in 2d but get to make a game and learn the general mechanics

Semester 2

Learn Game Maker in-depth. I actually got a book called "Introduction to Video Game Design" by Michael Ploor that functions as a workbook with lessons every day introducing students to concepts in game development through a reading, having them define terms and then answer questions on the reading. Afterwards they build part of a game and as lessons continue they do more advanced game building.

Culminate with a cool looking 3d game to showcase. Unity?

Just to throw in a couple more things:

1. The class has to be attractive to students. There needs to be 1 or 2 big showcases throughout the school year where the community will see exciting games and be able to play them and want to enroll in our school. The environment is very competitive. So basically, I need things that LOOK GOOD. Nobody will know how true-to-life the games the kids made are to what game developers actually do. Something is everything in this scenario.

2. I want to keep my class a DESIGN class not make it a computer class. I am an art teacher and I want to explore the aesthetics of video games, not get bogged down in technical work.

Thoughts?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement