🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for ideas on how to teach Game Design in a high school

Started by
159 comments, last by gameteacher 8 years, 3 months ago

Uhm... I worry about the direction and priorities a course like this would take. If you're trying to teach game design, then the right course of action is to have kids design games. I think there's a bit of a misconception between your idea of what game design means and what we in the industry call game design. So, I'll try to define it briefly and we can start working from the same understanding of the term:

Game design is the process of planning out the game rules and mechanics of how a game is played. (others here can feel free to agree/disagree/amend)

This is not to be confused with the production of the game assets, such as modelling characters or drawing artwork, which I suspect may be how you define it.

A game designer will often do what's called "grey boxing", where they spend zero effort making art. Everything is just a gray rectangle. The rules of the game are put into place, and then the game is played to see if it is actually fun. The game "fun" should stand on the merits of its design, not on the quality of its artwork. The risk is that you'd put in a lot of unnecessary time and effort into creating something that sucks because the concept doesn't work. (ie, let's make a game where you squirt mustard at a wall and then spend 5 days designing the mustard bottle and splatter effects.)

I'll tell you a short story of a game I designed and built half way. About two years back, I decided I would build a game about wizards leading massive armies on a battlefield and casting spells in conjunction with commanding the units. Think, total war meets magic the gathering. I wrote up a 30 page game design document which detailed many of the game systems and the rules which governed them. Even at 30 pages, it seemed like it wasn't even close to detailed enough. I played through my game in my head over and over, trying to imagine how each system should work. Once I had everything written down to a 'good enough' level, I started programming the game to satisfy the design I had come up with. This is wrong. I thought the fastest way to test my design would be to quickly whip up a grey boxed prototype of the game. It wouldn't take more than a week to implement. It actually took 2-3 months of full time work. It was going too slow. And I just wanted to test whether the rules worked and were fun. It then occurred to me that there was a faster and easier way to test my game and iterate on the design: I should make a physical simulation of the game by using scraps of paper and coloring crayons. I created a battlefield on a table top, invented some spells of various types, and started playing the game as spelled out in my game design doc. The problem is, the design doc is 30 pages long and I needed another player to play with me, and I couldn't ask them to read 30 pages of rules. So, I had to write an abridged version of the rules and explain it to the other player. Then we started playing the game by taking turns and moving scraps of paper around. The game was meant to be a real time strategy game, so we tried our best to simulate real time by making the turns very short when the combat action got intense. It kind of worked. It took about 30 minutes to play through a battle, and 4-6 hours to play through a campaign. I learned that some of my mechanics were broken, too over powered, or too under powered. Some of my rules just didn't get the desired effect I was aiming for. So, I changed them by changing one or two sentences in the rulebook. 30 seconds, done. Guess how much work that would take to implement if I was writing code? 30 minutes to several hours. This is the right way to design a game. You want to avoid wasting time by iterating quickly to find what doesn't work. If you spend 30-90 minutes writing code each time a rule changes, you're gonna take forever to design a game.

So, if I was in your position as a teacher trying to teach game design, I would forget about the digital side all together and focus on the design of the rule set. The technical stuff just gets in the way. I used to invent games and play them in my sandbox with my brother during the summer and all we needed were sticks, sand and our imaginations. It worked and it was fun, though tedious. Teach your kids the theory of game design, let them invent some games, then let them play those games with each other, figure out what works and what doesn't work, iterate on the rule set, and keep trying. Some of them will make games which turn out to not be fun at all, and that's okay! They thought it would be, but it wasn't. Learning just happened. Now they can try again and invent a different game. The whole time, they're not just learning game design, but also learning the process of game design. I would expect that this would take several months of school time (considering you may have an hour a day at most). If this is truly a class focused on design, then any time spent doing digital stuff would be kind of a waste of time (in my humble opinion). And if you have to make a convincing argument to justify the artistic merit of this whole thing, it is all inherently a very creative process with tangible results! You may not have something visual to look at like a painting, but you do have a designed game system which used much of the same processes other forms of art take. How you would grade this stuff... participation? Personally, this is tough to measure by any metric. Instead of using grades as an incentive for performance, I'd put together a competition where students can win prizes for designing a game which is the best in a specific category (oh hey, that's a game itself!).

I'm assuming you haven't read any of my past posts based on what you are saying.

Game Design will be a unit of study where students will learn principles of design. It will be an introduction. The other subjects- history, character design and game development, will be covered separately and also be introductions.

Advertisement

You might want to focus on the role of art in game design as well (I use a general definition of game design, which contains everything that affects the player experience).

Art is used to draw player attention to places, give hints, guide their interpretation of the objectives (you shouldnt go near a scary looking monster, you should go for the shiny stuff), stuff like that.

So thinking about how art drives the gameplay experience in a desired direction, and 'induces' a particular mental model of the game 'rules' in the players head, would give students a concrete goal when designing the art (instead of just trying to fit some theme or make something pretty).

o3o

You might want to focus on the role of art in game design as well (I use a general definition of game design, which contains everything that affects the player experience).

Art is used to draw player attention to places, give hints, guide their interpretation of the objectives (you shouldnt go near a scary looking monster, you should go for the shiny stuff), stuff like that.

So thinking about how art drives the gameplay experience in a desired direction, and 'induces' a particular mental model of the game 'rules' in the players head, would give students a concrete goal when designing the art (instead of just trying to fit some theme or make something pretty).

This is interesting. Do you know where I might learn more about these concepts of video games' relation to art? That's a specific area I'm looking to develop. Have you heard of Chris Solarski? He's doing work in this area, but I don't know who else is.

What if we scanned the drawings? Could they be miniaturized and turned into files within GM? For example, a character to run through a maze. It would be great if students could use their own character. I assume it wouldn't animate in any way and wouldn't have to.

Yes, that is definitely possible.

Or what about recreating their characters in Blender?

Yes, that is certainly possible, but would require some time learning the techniques.

Have you heard of Chris Solarski? He's doing work in this area, but I don't know who else is.

Chris Melissinos
Sam R. Kennedy
Josh Jenisch
And in a more abstract sense (the game being art itself); Matt Sainsbury

I actually got a book called "Introduction to Video Game Design" by Michael Ploor that functions as a workbook with lessons every day introducing students to concepts in game development through a reading, having them define terms and then answer questions on the reading.

Is the book by Michael Ploor proving beneficial?

What if we scanned the drawings? Could they be miniaturized and turned into files within GM? For example, a character to run through a maze. It would be great if students could use their own character. I assume it wouldn't animate in any way and wouldn't have to.

Yes, that is definitely possible.

Or what about recreating their characters in Blender?

Yes, that is certainly possible, but would require some time learning the techniques.

Have you heard of Chris Solarski? He's doing work in this area, but I don't know who else is.

Chris Melissinos
Sam R. Kennedy
Josh Jenisch
And in a more abstract sense (the game being art itself); Matt Sainsbury

I actually got a book called "Introduction to Video Game Design" by Michael Ploor that functions as a workbook with lessons every day introducing students to concepts in game development through a reading, having them define terms and then answer questions on the reading.

Is the book by Michael Ploor proving beneficial?

I think over-half of students is going to be dissapointed of Gameteacher courses, unless someone like you will do him a secundant. Honestly.

I think over-half of students is going to be dissapointed of Gameteacher courses, unless someone like you will do him a secundant. Honestly.

I think with the earlier plan, most students would be happy. A quarter on design topics and history and disecting and modifying other games, a quarter on art and minor scripting, a quarter with more scripting and more on level design and game design, ending by a quarter of open implementation.

It hits all the core areas and students have several months of class time to build something, either freeform if they are ambitious or following the teacher's guide if they are less ambitious.

They end the course with a game they made in 3 months, at whatever quality they can create. They will have experimented with existing games, studied some game history, studied some game art, studied some game programming, studied some game design.

I think with the earlier plan, most students would be happy. A quarter on design topics and history and disecting and modifying other games, a quarter on art and minor scripting, a quarter with more scripting and more on level design and game design, ending by a quarter of open implementation.

It hits all the core areas and students have several months of class time to build something, either freeform if they are ambitious or following the teacher's guide if they are less ambitious.

They end the course with a game they made in 3 months, at whatever quality they can create. They will have experimented with existing games, studied some game history, studied some game art, studied some game programming, studied some game design.

Thanks for the encouragement. It also makes for a course that I can handle and realistically implement!

Did anyone see my other post about sequencing units?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement