Advertisement

Hardware/Software Rant

Started by March 19, 2016 07:26 PM
31 comments, last by _mark_ 8 years, 6 months ago

wow where are you guys shopping at, i got an ipod touch a macbook and pc an android phone all for £165 GBP all in, now i can make game for ios osx windows and android and a few others things to that i dont need the hardware to produce them with.

wow where are you guys shopping at, i got an ipod touch a macbook and pc an android phone all for £165 GBP all in, now i can make game for ios osx windows and android and a few others things to that i dont need the hardware to produce them with.

I guess some of us prefer not to buy stolen goods? (Or...really ancient used stuff.)

My workstation ran north of $3,000. The Galaxy S7 I just picked up for dev was $740. I think the iPhone 6S+ was a good bit more than that. iPads run up in the $400-700 range without 3G/LTE support. Dev-spec Macbook Pros are about $2500, give or take. We have an Alienware demo laptop that ran $3500 I believe.

Of course these are all work expenses, not personal. That makes a difference.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement

oh my god your a mod and your calling me a thief because i shopped on ebay and waited for the right moment to buy, yes there all secondhand but still perfectly usable and only a couple of years old, well apart from the android phone that's only a year or just over old, your meant to use moderation if your a mod.

Which models were you able to get for only 165GBP that covered a macbook, a PC, iPod Touch, and a phone? Getting all that in with still relatively new hardware for so little is 'highly questionable' and not exactly something that is easily and commonly done.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

i got a 2013 macbook a ipod touch 5 pc was custom built i did forget i had to ad a better graphics card gtx 750 ti for 40 quid UK money, and i don't know what the android phone is, its chinese and looks like a galaxy 4 or 5 but is low spec compared to them but good for what i wanted to do with it.

i got a 2013 macbook a ipod touch 5 pc was custom built i did forget i had to ad a better graphics card gtx 750 ti for 40 quid UK money, and i don't know what the android phone is, its chinese and looks like a galaxy 4 or 5 but is low spec compared to them but good for what i wanted to do with it.

You got a 2013 macbook for under GBP150? huh.png

Colour me extremely skeptical that was legit. Because there's nothing on ebay for even close to that (apart from the first listing, but that's not the final price).

Also, that button on your keyboard labelled "Shift" or possibly '?' capitalises letters. Using it would make your posts more readable.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement

there's not one cheap on there right now but if your prepared to keep an eye on one that is in your own country and finishes at between 1 & 3 am after a few months you will get one cheap, although i will fess up the macbook did have no screen light, but as it was only 50 quid a new bulb was only 5 quid and not hard to replace.

This thread has taken some interesting turns, like they always do....

I do believe it's possible to buy cheap stuff on EBay if you're careful, but... debate away.

I also got a high end laptop (not apple) for near nothing.

I bought one with broken screen knowing I wanted to use it headless for a small media Server.

People really don't know the value of broken or damaged equipment when they sell it on eBay. High end windows laptop for 40 quid? Yes please!

I could have used it as an actual laptop too, because the description led me to believe it had a huge crack in the screen, turned out to have three dead pixels in the corner.

I got a pair of pentium laptops with 2GB of RAM and failing hard drives from circa-2006 for 20 bucks from work. They're not high end but they're still more than capable as home server machines or to browse the internet. You don't even need the hard drive, just stick in a flash drive, boot linux off of it, plug in an external hard drive for bulk storage, done. Sometimes people act as if anything older than five years is incapable of computation wacko.png

Count me out when it comes to replacing my phone every year to the newest ludicrously expensive model smile.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement