Advertisement

Hardware/Software Rant

Started by March 19, 2016 07:26 PM
31 comments, last by _mark_ 8 years, 6 months ago
Android devices - I find Android takes on most of the good traits that Personal computers do. There is a certain area of if you want to do DIY things, Android products are easier to do it with than Apple's. The downside is that the software selection isn't as good as iOS. I mean, there is no Hyperpad, no Codea, etc on Android. And I know it's hard to find a good IDE on one.
PC - Windows 10 is pretty good despite my skepticism, but I feel like with PCs, you don't get as much for your money these days as with Android devices. Take the Google Pixel C Android tablet for example, it has a 2560x1600 display, it's portable, it has a processor that's as capable as a laptop Core i3 in many areas, and very decent graphics performance, all for $375 if you use the developer discount. I have not seen such a deal on PC. Intel processors, which still remain in the lead over AMD, have also only been increasing in performance by 10% each refresh these last few or several cycles.
iOS - I love this platform, but in order to make an iOS game, having a Windows PC and an iOS device isn't enough. You actually need a Mac of some kind AND an iOS device. Screw Windows PC. By the time all is said and done, you're set back $1200 in Apple products.
Mac - I've never really owned one, so no comment.
Overall, I'm disappointed with PCs for personal reasons though. I recently bought a new one just to find it wasn't fast enough for me, and the return policy says I can't take it back for that reason.
I'd love to just buy a Google Pixel C or Ipad Pro and be done, but the Android devices kind of lack tools, and I could actually make a game of some kind directly on an iPad, but you still need a Mac to distribute it once you're done.
I also realize that rants in the Lounge don't always go well. They usually result in flaming, arguing, or "ok" responses. But I'll post now, and worry about the consequences of my actions later.
You realise this site has a blog function, right?

also

ok.
Advertisement

I think Surface Book 3 isn't a too bad option with price tag of $399

And I don't recommend things such as Hackintosh.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

The new Intel NUC is being released soon. It's going to be a nice box. With the New I7, DDR 4 RAM, USB C ports, HDMI 2.0(I think) Higher speed AC Wi-Fi as well as Thunderport this has the ability to use external high end video cards as well as other Thunderport add-ons. It could be a perfect Hackintosh type box, but I would run it maybe as a virtual drive. Look them up, they are a bit pricey for the portability, but completely configurable.

Personally, I feel like there is almost no reason to own a PC anymore. Back then PC was all about customization and gaming. Windows/DirectX was all the rage. You'd use Linux if you wanted to spend a week setting up your computer, and Mac was some kind of ugly dumbed-down version of PC.

Now Mac is getting so much better for gaming, normal everyday use, and even developing apps/games. Linux is also getting better with usability and thanks to Android, it makes it slightly easier to digest. While PC still relies on Windows as its main OS, and Microsoft fucked up big time with Windows 8 that it felt like there's almost no turning back for them.

The whole PC industry has been driven by Microsoft, but Microsoft is moving toward having its own hardware now with Surface Pro. People cared less about customization, which was PC's strong point.

Now Mac is getting so much better for gaming, normal everyday use, and even developing apps/games. Linux is also getting better with usability and thanks to Android, it makes it slightly easier to digest. While PC still relies on Windows as its main OS, and Microsoft fucked up big time with Windows 8 that it felt like there's almost no turning back for them.

I vehemently disagree. The graphics stack (drivers, available GPUs, etc) on OSX is dismal. Just because a few games are available to run poorly does not make it a good general gaming choice. Linux's usability has largely stagnated and I don't think they've gained anything from Android. Instead they're busy fighting about display servers and window managers and system daemons, and deciding whether or not the right to be dicks to contributors is paramount.

Windows 8 was problematic, but both 7 and 10 are perfectly viable options. If anything, the platform's become more popular and robust in recent years, as a whole.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement

I haven't bought a brand new PC since high school. So ever, really, my parents bought me that.
You get the most bang for your buck with off-lease computers, but refurbished desktops are pretty good too.
My current development machine cost about $150 and the GPU it came with is DirectX11 compatible.

I look forwards to the day when all "mobile devices" are as versatile as a laptop is right now.

For example, get a usb keyboard, plug it in, install a developer environment and compiler stack and make your apps directly on that device with no need for any other hardware such as a pc or Mac.

Android is part way there as I understand it and apple nowhere near. They all seem to have this awful step of pushing to an app store first if you want any exposure at all, and this is the same way Microsoft tried with Windows 8 and the windows app store.

Personally I think pc is still going to be top of the pile for many years to come. Most graphics cards are created only with Windows in mind, all other oses being afterthoughts and Mac support non existent.

Same with games, the studios will release primarily for Windows and consoles until the market makes that non viable and while everyone is buying pcs it's a catch 22, Mac and Linux won't gain a foothold for gaming...

Mac support non existent.

You would think that considering the OS X EULA's clause forbidding installation on non-Mac hardware, that Apple would work with the developers of hardware used in Macs to ensure a top quality product.

You would think that considering the OS X EULA's clause forbidding installation on non-Mac hardware, that Apple would work with the developers of hardware used in Macs to ensure a top quality product.
Why? Most of their users don't care about hardware specs, they just a simple GUI that works.

They also buy a new thing every few years, no need to use quality hardware at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement