🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Expanding my network

Started by
11 comments, last by cozzie 8 years, 3 months ago
Hi all,
Currently I'm renovating my house, including wiring some more network cables throughout the house. This brings me to a small challenge.

My current setup:
- the outside (coaxial) line enters my internet provider's modem (input).
- 1 network connection goes from the modem to my wifi/wired router (300n/gb wired).
- the router has 4 wired ports as output and provides wifi

So far so good, but when my house is done, I need 6 wired connections.

My question;
- what would be my options other then buying a new 6 or 8 port wifi enabled router?
(can I use a network hub or do I need a switch, pro's and cons).

Thanks for thinking with me on this.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Advertisement
Have you considered ethernet over power adapters?

I have four of these at opposite corners and floors of the house, with a cheap gigabit switch off each. That gives the house a "network backbone" of 450mb/sec and gigabit in each local area (e.g. a room).

I then have wifi from the router upstairs and a second AP downstairs broadcasting the same network on a different non overlapping channel.

Generally these days only mobile devicedevices and laptops use the wifi as you get better speed and therefore better quality for streaming if you plug consoles and set top boxes into the ethernet.

I used to have a 100mbit network cable between upstairs and downstairs, through the floorspace. This connected my media and Linux box in the downstairs utility room to the upstairs router, but I don't technically need that any longer...

Thanks, so far I didn't find Wifi strong enough for streaming HD video and more.

For example, I have my old PS3 in my bedroom, which will be connected wired, to be able to stream HD videos from my pc downstairs.

Then there's a wired connection on my: TV, Settopbox, Receiver, PS4, PC downstairs.

How would you expand the 4 wired ports on the router, just add a hub or switch in 1 of the 4 ports and connect the other devices to the hub or switch?

Yes you can do that just by adding a switch. Nobody really uses hubs any more because they don't scale and are less secure, everything sent to one port is always broadcast to all other ports regardless of its actual intended destination.

Thanks, a switch it is then.

Any good advice on brand/manufacturer with a good price/ quality ratio?

Generally any 8 or 16 port cheap switch off eBay will work. They're cheap generic and simple technology these days, and there's no need to spend a fortune on brand named cisco switches. Something about $10 and unmanaged like a d-link or netgear or even just an obscure Chinese one will be fine.

Read reviews though, I once bought one that upnp packets wouldn't go through for some reason, even though it was unmanaged. This meant I had to send it back as it didn't work with my media server...

If you have walls open, then I strongly suggest adding as much hard wire networking as you can. Bulk spools of Cat6 cable aren't that expensive really, and installing 2-3 runs to each room lets you later upgrade the overall network with a simple hardware swap at either end, and putting in extra lines makes for easy link aggregation down the road if needed.

If not, then at least be sure to drill and finish holes running everywhere, and then thread a good sturdy cord to fish stuff through in the future. Even if you don't make use of it, having it all in place for super easy upgrades down the line (ie, for going to pure house-wide fibre at some point.)

If you have space to add a server rack built into the house, then it is also a great thing. Gives you somewhere to deploy home servers and stuff, and keeps stuff so much cleaner and tidier.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Thanks. The walls that are 'open' are the exact reason I'm expanding ;-)

A server rack is a bridge to far for me/ for my needs. I'll go for adding a switch/ connecting it to my router (a netgear probably).

I'll also doublecheck which devices support 100Mbit versus 1Gbit, because I believe when you're expanding and have the opportunity, upgrade right away to GBit.

Not sure if switches are also 'bound' to 100Mbit or 1Gbit.

Well, as stated, it isn't easy to find hubs anymore as they are ancient technology, so I think Cat6 cable and a decent switch (netgear is) would be fine depending on distance.

And you might prefer gigabit ethernet if you demand better local performance ( I didn't say gigabit :) ) not to mention you need gigabit ethernet interface on devices as well.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Again, thanks.

I've checked out all my devices, and have come to the following solution:

- all cables will be CAT5E, since I don't have lengths >100m (300ft).

This should suffice for GBit LAN connection speed

- starting point of my network is a modem from my Internet Provider

-- connecting to my Icidu 300N wireless and GBIt wired router, 4 ports

(http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/278474/icidu-wireless-gigabit-router-300n/specificaties/).

This is my Wifi device for connecting to a tablet, work laptop and mobile phones.

- 1 of the 4 Router ports will go to a netgear GBit switch

(https://www.bol.com/nl/p/netgear-prosafe-gs105-5x-gigabit-netwerk-switch/1003004008173265/)

- leading to a total of 7 available wired ports for devices (3 on the router and 4 on the netgear switch)

- devices I will connect:

-- PS3 (upstairs), GBit network card

-- PS4 (downstairs), GBit network card

-- Samsung Horizon PVR/ Settopbox, GBit network card

-- Main 'gaming' PC downstairs, GBit network card

-- Marantz SR5006 receiver, 100MBps network card (enough, since it's only for music)

-- Panasonic TX-P50VT30E, 100MBps network card (too bad, just enough for HD video streaming, without fast forwarding/ seeking)

- I'll be using the Horizon settopbox (or TV media player) for streaming HD video

Just some small questions/ remarks;

1 - I'm not 100% sure the Samsung Horizon PVR will 'join' the network with 1 GBPS.

Since it can also work as a modem/router, which is not advised by my internet provider, because if the source cable and region I live in.

I'll have to find that out, online reference say that it's possible.

2 - One of my CAT5E cables (new) says on the boxing "up to 350MBps", which I find strange, since the CAT5E standard should be perfectly capable of handling 1000MBps/1GBps (with lengths lower then 300ft/100m). Do I have to worry about this cable?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement