Advertisement

Someone explain this thing about manual transmissions to me...

Started by December 11, 2015 01:07 AM
59 comments, last by Buster2000 8 years, 9 months ago

For instance i think Lamborghini Aventador is the sexiest car/super ever, but that doesn't mean i'm sexually aroused by Lamborghini laugh.png

2013-brown-lamborghini-aventador-970x0.j

I grant you that that car looks very nice (though it seems to be having an identity crisis between "polygonal" (front and sides) and "sleek curves" (top and back) - the designer needs to make up his mind), and the first thing I think is, "that looks gorgeous"... but the second thing I think is: "...and the back and bottom would get scraped and bashed every time it enters a driveway, goes over a speedbump, or crosses a railroad track."

Not to mention that at 6' 2", my head would be cramped on the ceiling, or I'd have to be leaning so far back that I'd be practically horizontal. Maybe it doubles as a coffin?

Aesthetics are nice, but they can't come at the cost of functionality, IMO. </car-ignorance>

In the UK it wouldn't matter if you went manual or automatic in this case as the BMW Z3 and Z4 are already considered girls cars. This isn't my opinion as I actually drive an MX5 which is also considered to be a girls car. Pretty much any 2 seater open topped roadster (except maybe the Boxter S) is considered to be exclusively for ladies.

Well, only "ungirl" car I can think of is Lamborghini, since it has bull in the badge. Other than that, Ferrari can be a girl car too.

I rather have problem with Mercedes, since they tend to be "hi very old sir! Here, see my one touch back window pale-up system if you saw badly, also I have those mechanic arms for catching fly-by stones to not get me scratched! You feel this mage comfort in my 10 ways positionable seat senior mage?"

No problem with gendered cars for me though, especially of some action types, though girls like.

Advertisement

Ah, so it's like the Mazda Miata here; typically considered a car for women and gay men. I see men driving the Z3 or Z4 models all the time. Since I don't find being called gay an insult, I wouldn't care.

Yeah so the MX5 that I drive is actually a Mazda Miata.

I love how this discussion started with lamenting silly sterotypical ideas about gender and driving and ending in what cars are "sexy" or "girly"....

country cars type car style transmission pimping culture masculinity boost (out of 10) (very subjective opinion)
USA Depends disproportionately mostly saloons Automatic extreme 5 for the sake of pimping
on the power of the engine and trucks
hence- Muscle cars

Japan Very technical: Great Various, Manual, DSG extreme 8.5
Aerodynamics, chassis, torque, best are Hatchbacks
Credit: attention to fine details

Germany Same as Japan same as japan + sexy 70% Manual Limited 9.0
But also have Mercedes which 30% auto
is a muscle car and mostly Auto
(Big plus: have Buggatti Veron)

Italy Home of the world's best super cars Super sexy Manual, Flappy, Limited 10
Auto, DSG.....

UK Like to have everything but makes Various Same as Germany Limited 6
little. Otherwise same as Germany best are Hatchbacks

Except Lotus, Caterham, Maclaren, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Land Rover are not hatchbacks are all made in the UK (owned by foreign companies) but, are defiantly not hatchbacks. As for the lack of pimping culture in the UK well it did use to be huge in the 90s but has kind of died off. Pimped cars are now seen as an embarrassment and if your friend happens to have a pimped car you would rather get a Taxi then be seen dead in his car.

I'd consider the USAs muscle cars and trucks to be far manlier and macho than any of the others except for their prestige brands. They are built specifically for men whilst non of the others are. Muscle cars and Trucks are affordable by the average blue collar worker whilst a Ferrari is not.

Also don't forget that whilst Italy has brands like Ferrari and Lambo and Germany has Bugatti the rest of the cars are very mundane if not puny in Italy you have Fiat, Lancia and Alfa (Whilst Top gear always big up the Alfa you have to realise that they are just shitty cars) and Germany you have BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Volkswagen. Of course they produce one or two exciting versions of these but the majority that are sold are snoozefests and most certainly not manly man cars.

Also you missed out Australia from your list which has a massive car culture. Most of their cars are Japanese but they also have Holden (a subsidiary of GM) that builds some crazy muscle cars and muscle trucks exclusively for the Aussie market.

Some white Alfa Romeo can really be "girly", but black Alfas a generaly considered mafia cars in my area. Also, I do not find even mini cooper girly, I just do net get what a girly car is very much. And yes, there are man with high ride off roads us-like pick ups, one stoped at gas pump just lately, tatoos over him, it seemed like he just returned from hills, of course, super hot chick next to him :)

Advertisement

Aston Martin

^^^ THIS! ^^^

There's an Aston Martin showroom on my way into the office, if i ever became rich enough to waste money on an expensive car, this manufacturer would be in my list.

They're quite rare on the roads and have a sophisticated look about them, rarity appeals to me.

...Are you drooling yet?

Aston Martin

^^^ THIS! ^^^

There's an Aston Martin showroom on my way into the office, if i ever became rich enough to waste money on an expensive car, this manufacturer would be in my list.

Those don't just look awesome from the outside, but they are also awesome on the inside. No other car I know with such a fucking cool interior. This is like it's made for the King of the World.

Unluckily, they do suck up about 13 liters per 100km, too, and cough out 300g CO2 per km, respectively. And that assumes you drive carefully... if you kick the beast, it's 3 times as much.

Do I listen to mine? Of course, but she knows there's certain type of small talk that I won't tolerate, and when I hear it, I shut her down. I get more respect from her when I sound like a bit of a "brute" than when I throw money at her, but that's just me.

You "shut her down"??angry.png What do you do when she reboots?

You can drive a stick with an 8 inch monster and still be just a pansy ass liberal sjw type who cries in a corner, claiming to be bullied over something someone said over the internet.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're trying to be funny or ironic, but if not, grow the fuck up.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Define "pimping culture".

Pimp : Car customization : also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimp_My_Ride

Also, what makes a car "sexually attractive"? I never thought that anyone would get aroused by looking at a car.

Are you serious??? I bet you are not.. biggrin.png

Describing a car as sexy doesn't mean you're sexually aroused by the car, its about the styling, the vibe ....

For instance i think Lamborghini Aventador is the sexiest car/super ever, but that doesn't mean i'm sexually aroused by Lamborghini laugh.png

2013-brown-lamborghini-aventador-970x0.j

Actually, I am serious. :) I never understood the need for everything that is attractive to be related to sex in one way or another. Personally, I find it to be rediculous. I get that sex sells and whatnot, but I'm someone who takes literal definitions very seriously as it gives us hints as to how we really think imo. I ask because no one has ever given me a fully logical and articulate answer.

You "shut her down"??angry.png What do you do when she reboots?

Me: Better?
Her: Better!

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're trying to be funny or ironic, but if not, grow the fuck up.

Piccolo: It's called SARCASM!

Goku: What's that taste like?

Piccolo: Dammit goku!!!!

Shogun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement