🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Here is a HEX puzzle. Can you figure it out?

Started by
5 comments, last by MarkS_ 8 years, 9 months ago

Hi, can anyone figure this out?

3D coordinates are represented by the following HEX

Here is data of 3 different 3d coordinates (x,y,z) all around the same areaish in 3d space

Coord 1 (x,y,z)

00 18 88 F8 E8 D8 E3 04 80 D4 FF FB

Coord 2 (x,y,z)

40 E2 73 F8 00 00 E6 04 60 83 47 FC

Coord 3 (x,y,z)

00 2A 2A F8 00 00 E5 04 40 A4 07 FC

These decimal coordinates are around the same areaish as the hex coordinates above.

Although farther distance away than the 3 coordinates represented in hex above.

Can anyone figure out how the coordinate values are represented in the hex above?

Advertisement
They look like little endian fixed point numbers.
My current game project Platform RPG

They look like little endian fixed point numbers.

That's what I was thinking as well, but without some more context, this whole exercise is all but useless. It *looks* to be 12.20 fixed point, but there is no way to be sure. What is a valid value? What is out of range? 12.20 (value / 1048576.0f) gives the closest rational*-looking values, but everything is just a guess.

[edit] *Rational as in sane, not rational numbers.

That is what I thought at first as well. But no values fit in the proper range. What I have figured out so far is that the 3d coordinates are actually at least partially 2d. The first 2 bytes of each 32 it value I have no idea what they are. But the next 2 are 2d coordinates on a tile. 2048-[value] where value = a 16 bit signed value.

The y coordinate, I have no idea.

I actually agree, I do not think there is enough information to solve it.

That is what I thought at first as well. But no values fit in the proper range. What I have figured out so far is that the 3d coordinates are actually at least partially 2d. The first 2 bytes of each 32 it value I have no idea what they are. But the next 2 are 2d coordinates on a tile. 2048-[value] where value = a 16 bit signed value.

The y coordinate, I have no idea.

I actually agree, I do not think there is enough information to solve it.

That actually helps! It may not be x,y,z coordinates at all. The first byte may be a tile ID and the second byte tile-specific information. Where is this from? Looking closer at this, with the info you just gave, I'm not sure these are coordinates at all. It looks to be encoded information.

looks Like some ones network packet, and the opps getting you all to decode it worded in a way you not see.

looks Like some ones network packet, and the opps getting you all to decode it worded in a way you not see.

Interesting thought! It would explain why it doesn't look like coordinates. unsure.png I know nothing about networking, so I cannot say for certain.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement