Advertisement

My grave mistake of upgrading to Windows 10

Started by August 12, 2015 04:11 AM
25 comments, last by Gavin Williams 9 years ago

It turns out that my decision to upgrade to windows 10 was a grave mistake! I had trusted MS because i thought their wealth of experience of transitioning from one version to the other over 2 decades should be paying off by now. But NO

Ever since i upgraded i have repeatedly had these errors. I have to shut and restart to get it fixed. But the fix is always temporal because after a day or so the critical error is back.

My USB ports - has never been a problem before upgrade!!! But now i'm in deep shit!!!

[attachment=28578:wce (2).jpg]

[attachment=28580:windows10 hell1.png]

[attachment=28579:windows10 hell2.png]

One other thing. MS must be consulting some doughnut-head focus groups these days. I double-clicked on a jpg. The default is "Photos". I Cropped. I was then looking for "save as". Couldn't find it so clicked on save copy, expecting the usual. But guess what- Windows10 choose where to save it for me!!! and the filename. The choice taken away from me! So i spent the next few minutes searching all over looking where windows10 had saved it! Bloody hell!! To think this guys get paid millions for this! What The Fuck have they learnt through the years

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

It sucks that some people will experience problems like this. Its pretty abnormal and likely due to wierdness in your system -- oddball hardware, or maybe buggy firmware. Perhaps you can uninstall/reinstall the device and it will start working.

As for usability, I've found it very usable. Better than windows 8/8.1, and will likely prove to be as good or better than windows 7.

I'm with you though that there are some dumbfounding interface eccentricities in places (mostly in the Windows 8-style system menus).

They'll iron that out with time, but in the meanwhile there are some nicities. For one, when I upgraded my Windows 8.1 install, I was left with more free disk space after blowing away the backup of the old OS files; I don't really care for a handful of GB, but a trimmer OS is welcome. Startup times are even faster than Windows 8, especially from hibernation. And I'm really digging the new virtual desktops (Win key + Tab).

Sorry its been a problem, but I hope you won't write it off for a bad first impression. If you need to revert back to your previous install, it'll do that for you automatically. I think its in on of those new system menus with the questionable user interfaces.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement

I had something like that happen on Win8.

USB2 drivers are impossible to download because they're part of the OS now... but somehow when I plugged in my Oculus DK2 (without installing the drivers for it first), my USB2 drivers were magically deleted from the Windows folder! It was impossible to repair using any of the normal methods, because it's not supposed to be something that can happen.

I eventually fixed it by manually copying the missing system DLLs from another Win8 machine...

One other thing. MS must be consulting some doughnut-head focus groups these days. I double-clicked on a jpg. The default is "Photos". I Cropped. I was then looking for "save as". Couldn't find it so clicked on save copy, expecting the usual. But guess what- Windows10 choose where to save it for me!!! and the filename. The choice taken away from me! So i spent the next few minutes searching all over looking where windows10 had saved it! Bloody hell!! To think this guys get paid millions for this! What The Fuck have they learnt through the years

Well, there's the source of your USB problems. Why the hell are you double clicking on JPEGs anyways?

I once had someone call me in a panic, because her son was using her husband's desktop, trying to jailbreak an iPhone, and corrupted all the USB drivers on the computer.

They couldn't log in to Windows (Vista iirc) - the mouse (USB) didn't respond, and the keyboard (USB) didn't respond. They had a perfectly good computer with nigh unto zero ways to interact with it!

They were in a different state, so I had to troubleshoot over the phone and fix the problem. Not only was the computer blind to their input, I was blind to the computer's screen, and had to have the kid (~14yo) describe each screen to me.

Turned out there was a tiny ~7 sec gap when the computer first starts up where it loads the default USB drivers, before it later loads the (damaged) USB drivers. This meant, if timed right, we had about ~2 seconds overlap from when "boot options" is first available to when the damaged USB drivers were loaded, and were able to boot into Safe Mode (which prevented the damaged drivers from loading) and run Windows' automated driver repair process to install the good drivers again.

Boy, that was not fun. laugh.png Took about ~2 hours and at least 10 reboots (probably more), over the phone, to figure out what was wrong, and try different ways of fixing it.

Desktops should have a PS/2 port as a fallback for these situations (I explicitly asked - his didn't).

Why the hell are you double clicking on JPEGs anyways?

Because they had pictures of cats in the thumbnails, ofcourse!

alwaysBiased, on 12 Aug 2015 - 05:11 AM, said:snapback.png

Well, there's the source of your USB problems. Why the hell are you double clicking on JPEGs anyways?

So why is double-clicking jpeg to open it wrong and how could that be the source of the USB problems. Since upgrading to windows 10 the USB failed regularly whether i double clicked jpeg or not. 99% of the times i never even clicked on a jpeg image. Throw more light on what you mean

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement

So why is double-clicking jpeg to open it wrong and how could that be the source of the USB problems. Since upgrading to windows 10 the USB failed regularly whether i double clicked jpeg or not. 99% of the times i never even clicked on a jpeg image. Throw more light on what you mean

It's a joke. He wasn't serious.

As a general rule, an in-place upgrade to a new Windows version is never never never never never never never going to end well. Microsoft have been trying to get this right for 20+ years and every time when they seem to think they've cracked it, the big dirty secret is: they haven't.

Unfortunately an in-place upgrade is necessary to activate your free upgrade to Windows 10, but once you've done that (and assuming that you're using a Microsoft account) you can now backup your data and do a clean install, following which it will stay activated and your hardware should work fine.

As for your JPEG experience: this is just Windows trying to be helpful. Face it; you, me, most people using this site - we're not representative of the target audience for any consumer OS.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I upgraded to Windows 10, which promptly led me to install Linux Mint on my secondary hard drive. :P

My website! yodamanjer.com
My development blog!

Follow me on Twitter! [twitter]jwg1991[/twitter]

Why ppl are always so desperate to get to the newest version of everything? Am I the only one who keep observing everyone going nuts till the things get stable? Why be the guinea pigs? (Why pre-buy stuff?)

New stuff is doomed to fail hard till get fixed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement