Advertisement

Gamedev podcasts

Started by August 11, 2015 09:48 PM
5 comments, last by Onigiri Flash 9 years ago
I am looking for some active game development podcasts to listen to to help motivate me. I've been trawling the Apple podcast directory but am not finding much, and most of what I find is not very recent. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

You might try the search function available at Overcast, which you can use from the web without having to install the app (although it's great). Overcast has it's own database of podcasts which, at a cursory glance, returns at least some different search results than Apple's official podcast app does.

I can't say I've ever really found a game development podcast that kept my attention for very long though.

Advertisement
what is a gamedev podcast specifically? listening to the process of making games?
If developer interviews are of interest you might check out Game Devs Like You.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I've found nothing gamedev related. I'm not sure gamedev podcasts are even possible, because code is something you've gotta read, it makes no sense to have someone read it to you. It takes a certain kind of mind and a certain kind of language for you to understand it.

However, you also wanted inspirational podcasts. I've got those

I should be writing. It's about how to become an author, mainly in genre fiction, as well as the craft in general. The host has struggled to become an author, and she talks about her struggles and of other authors struggles along with general writing advice.

Writing Excuses Again, another writing podcast. This one takes a topic and breaks it down into a 15 minute segment. One of the hosts is a comic strip author and another is also a puppeteer, so there is almost always something that applies to visual story telling in there.

Song Exploder Just a podcast where an artist takes a song, and talks breaks it down into all it's pieces. It's about song design, but gamedev also has sound design elements in it. It, at least, gets you to think about sound design.

This Week in Science Science fiction is about taking science to the next step, and they try to give a 1000 ft view of the newest papers that came out this week. They're also cross-referenced, so you can go more in depth if something interests you.

99 precent invisible. Probably not related at all, but this is a cool one.

I've found nothing gamedev related. I'm not sure gamedev podcasts are even possible, because code is something you've gotta read,

Er, "gamedev" related podcasts aren't about somebody reading code to you. They're about people talking about various aspects of game development.

Advertisement

I've found nothing gamedev related. I'm not sure gamedev podcasts are even possible, because code is something you've gotta read,

Er, "gamedev" related podcasts aren't about somebody reading code to you. They're about people talking about various aspects of game development.

I agree with this. Perhaps after the Week of Awesome ends, members of this community could try their hand at creating podcasts, twitch streams, or youtube videos relating to game development (even for completely new, smaller games). It's a wonderful opportunity to enter a field that is not already terribly populated, and you may also acquire a viewership in the process.

That said, I really don't have much to offer in terms of suggesting game dev podcasts, as I haven't really come across many. But it is possible to make a podcast about anything. I'm certain that they exist somewhere on the internet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement