Advertisement

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

Started by August 07, 2015 03:27 PM
71 comments, last by conquestor3 9 years, 2 months ago

What's installed and what's running as well. Possibly system information (Capabilities of your device?).

The worrying part is that there's no way to shut this off, even in the registry or attempting to stop/uninstall services.

1. Basic
    Basic information is data that is vital to the operation of Windows. This data helps keep Windows and apps running properly by letting Microsoft know the capabilities of your device, what is installed, and whether Windows is operating correctly. This option also turns on basic error reporting back to Microsoft. If you select this option, we'll be able to provide updates to Windows (through Windows Update, including malicious software protection by the Malicious Software Removal Tool), but some apps and features may not work correctly or at all.
Link?
[Edit:] Ah nvm, here it is.

I'm not sure if "what is installed" means what programs you have installed, in general, or what drivers are currently installed and what Microsoft software is currently installed.
Advertisement

Link?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/feedback-diagnostics-privacy-faq

edit: That was probably the most ninja edit I've ever seen anyone do.

Link?

I'm not sure if "what is installed" means what programs you have installed, in general, or what drivers are currently installed and what Microsoft software is currently installed.

It's a little convoluted, but the various levels of reporting seem to be what I'd expect in a crash dump. From a basic crash dump with loaded modules and stacks to a full memory dump.

So I'm guessing this is just Windows automating that "Do you want to send the crash report to MS?" button.

A Windows mini dump, from XP onwards, and which is sent to Microsoft by Windows Error Reporting, includes:

• List of loaded drivers,
  • List of loaded modules,
  • Any arbitrary memory pages that Windows determines may be useful for diagnosing the problem.

Source: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556895%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

So it really does seem that this is indeed nothing more than tinfoil-hattery about dear old Windows Error Reporting.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

And in the realms of users it is seemingly having little impact; Recent Steam Hardware Survey shows Win10 x64 usage at 2.31%, a change of +1.21%. Win7 64bit, on the other hand still rules the roost but changed by -1.05%.

It'll be interesting to see the stats in a few months... it would also be nice if they stopped using Flash for the charts dry.png
Advertisement

Did you read the MSDN article I linked? Because Microsoft themselves said you can't disable their telemetry data collection unless you're running windows server, or enterprise in their documentation.

Windows Update telemetry != privacy issue. But I guess any other modern OS do not collect any data at all on system faults, drivers, exceptions, updates and whatever... Disable this telemetry data collection on Enterprise and Server editions make sense, since on those environments you may want to use an internal server for updates redistributions...

A Windows mini dump, from XP onwards, and which is sent to Microsoft by Windows Error Reporting, includes:

• List of loaded drivers,
  • List of loaded modules,
  • Any arbitrary memory pages that Windows determines may be useful for diagnosing the problem.

Source: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556895%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

So it really does seem that this is indeed nothing more than tinfoil-hattery about dear old Windows Error Reporting.

And this is good, Windows Update improved a LOT from the XP era..

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

And in the realms of users it is seemingly having little impact; Recent Steam Hardware Survey shows Win10 x64 usage at 2.31%, a change of +1.21%. Win7 64bit, on the other hand still rules the roost but changed by -1.05%.

It'll be interesting to see the stats in a few months... it would also be nice if they stopped using Flash for the charts dry.png

That survey is from July - prior to Win10's release. If it had 2.31% prior to the release, then those must be Win10 beta users. Am I missing something?

I'd rather die but use a Windows phone

Couldn't disagree more smile.png , WP8.1 has the best UX and best UI (IOS UI is a joke without consistency, Android is on the right way with Material design but based on Android). But I am pretty sure I'll hate Windows 10 Mobile :/

I think you'll be happy with the updates in Win 10. I'm running Win 10 on my phone and the UI has gotten progressively better. It's definitely less stable than Win 8.1 on phone, but it's still early in the preview.

Fetch the tinfoil hats!

Latest news: big corporation writes an OS that has Internet enabled features, and those features need me to send my data to its servers for a response. I'll still be upgrading once I am sure all the apps I use work fine on windows 10...

Ten minutes ago called and wants that part of my life back...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement