Advertisement

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

Started by August 07, 2015 03:27 PM
71 comments, last by conquestor3 9 years, 2 months ago

Evidence from the MSDN article and elsewhere is that "telemetry" is just the old Windows Error Reporting that's been there since XP.

I have tweeked Windows 7 Professional into a likely server by some programable tweeking (certain user autolog on turn-on/no questions on restart/ no send message on IOPs of a process (telemetry keeps process still running allocated untill decision)/ no update) All the app did was reigistry editing. And data vulnearability is very concerned in a widespread OS too(viruses, though MS gives no warranty on data and damage, they must compete on this). It is true that MS can turn all computers unfunctional, which does update, but I gess they are spectated by some authorities to have this not happen just like that. (and surely thay can invalidate your OS till physical acquirement of data happens).

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary."

Legal boilerplate to try to protect them for future user privacy abuse...

There will be future attempts at lawsuits when enough people and incidents accumulate, and when you cant turn the abuse off (they intentionally make it bothersome to continuouusly do so, or they botch it). Without legalese stuff like this NOW there could be legal cases if they later try to change the EULA (breach of contract, and demands for full refund when the product is disabled unless you agree to the changes)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
Advertisement

Legal boilerplate to try to protect them for future user privacy abuse...

WIndows is a full seriosness in very package operaional system to be functional, I bet. You can play and do, program it and tweek it (it really does not need not updates to go on), it is a great system, and that is the dogma of B.G. allways. Just a serving goodie as it is!

Billie, u rulle! (I know he escaped but what could he do?)

Just stumbled across that, in case you haven't seen: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

I think that while they seem reasonable overall in their evaluation (they worded it to the point, although they disabled everything, still a lot is going over the internet, and while some of it looks harmless, it is not at all clear what it's all about, or what is sent alltogether), they are being a bit too forgiving. For example, they mention the presence of an ID to identify your computer, but in the screenshot showing their capture of the request you can clearly see that it's not just an ID of your computer. It's a lot more, such as device and config properties (what screen size and resolution and network type you have, what machine type, what desktop settings, etc.). And that's just what you can see in the human-readable request. It's unclear what binary data is being sent to OneDrive when you don't have OneDrive enabled and don't even use a Microsoft account.

Wow, with the default privacy settings it seems like it sends the memory dump from crashes to MS. Is that even legal? If I were to load W10 on my laptop, and mssql crashed, would it send HIPAA records to them?

This is a complete show stopper for me. It's just a matter of when that system is hacked, not an if. The value stored in there is simply going to be too high. With a profile of what non-advanced users are running (They don't change default settings), it would make hacking their systems much easier.

Wow, with the default privacy settings it seems like it sends the memory dump from crashes to MS. Is that even legal? If I were to load W10 on my laptop, and mssql crashed, would it send HIPAA records to them?

Stop it stop it stop it stop it, please stop it.

It's obvious that you're just trying to scaremonger here. Let me say this one more time - Windows has always sent a memory dump to Microsoft - that's just standard Windows Error Reporting.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Advertisement

Stop it stop it stop it stop it, please stop it.

It's obvious that you're just trying to scaremonger here. Let me say this one more time - Windows has always sent a memory dump to Microsoft - that's just standard Windows Error Reporting.

By default:

• Full data includes all Basic and Enhanced data, and also turns on advanced diagnostic features that collect additional data from your device, such as system files or memory snapshots, which may unintentionally include parts of a document you were working on when a problem occurred. This information helps us further troubleshoot and fix problems. If an error report contains personal data, we won’t use that information to identify, contact, or target advertising to you. This is the recommended option for the best Windows experience and the most effective troubleshooting.

It's not scare mongering. This is a complete showstopper for my OS choice selection. They store that information. Simply by using windows 10's default settings, if I get a crash, I may be breaking the law (Because I would agree to that eula).

I've had windows 7's error reporting disabled for the same reasons, and it doesn't seem possible to even do that in Windows 10. It's literally a feature they removed because they decided I shouldn't be able to choose what to tell them.

I've had windows 7's error reporting disabled for the same reasons, and it doesn't seem possible to even do that in Windows 10.
This.

I read "But Windows 8 (or Windows 7) has been doing that too" again and again and again. But you all fail to mention ".... and it was one click to deactivate it". It's the same argument like "But Google is collecting data too". Yes they are, but first of all I choose if and when they do, and second, they are not collecting that data right off my PC from my private files.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement