Advertisement

Random Access Nagging Thread: basic browser/web usability and security

Started by July 28, 2015 02:19 PM
19 comments, last by conquestor3 9 years, 2 months ago

Also are you sure your IE5 users wouldn't upgrade? I don't really see what hardware has to do with this as a newer IE wouldn't be any slower and IE 6 is available even on Windows 98 / Windows NT4, so unless your users are on 3.1 or 95 there's really no reason to support IE5 instead of a big popup telling them to upgrade to 6 and maybe taking the time to mention that they're 2 OSes bellow what Microsoft has droped support for (i hope those PCs are not connected to the net!).

It actually doesn't matter what users want or can. I was working on web applications for modern hotel groups and insurance companies. Especially for the hotels you can bet that most of their clients use ipad for booking either by themselves or by their secretary as the hotels were in range of $1000+ per night. In both cases IE7 and FF 3.0 had to be supported and looking EXACTLY as other browsers + special even more fancy version for ipad. What's more their analytics included that ancient browsers were actually used.

Well... hardly a niche target smile.png

Yes but IE7 is still in the "modern" range, IE6 and bellow is massive additional work. Supporting IE7+ can make some financial sense but IE5, eww.

It makes financial sense for us to pursue it, because our competitors mostly don't.

And yes, in supporting everything we do burn up memory on the client's side, but I haven't received tickets about anything that would seem to be memory issues.

I think you'd find several large B2B applications operate in a similar war (IE7 is standard, lower than that is sold as "Compatible with everything!")

Some people will just put up an insurmountable resistance to upgrading ever, and you just have to go along with it because they present a market need.

Also, you can bet your buns they're connected to the internet with old unpatched browsers + OS. There's a reason botnets are so cheap no adays.

I think most of our customers have their systems locked to only being allowed to access our applications though, along with their internal applications.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement