Advertisement

Random Access Nagging Thread: basic browser/web usability and security

Started by July 28, 2015 02:19 PM
19 comments, last by conquestor3 9 years, 2 months ago

I know it may seem like everything's horribly broken right now, but from an insider's perspective on an extremely high volume website and application, I swear it's not us.

All the javacript stuff we do is to maintain compatability back to IE5 Everything seems redundant because we're forced to re-impliment html5 components because that's what we promised in our SLA. In fact, our google analytics for today shows several hundred IE5 users on our application.

I mean, it works. It's not the most effective/perfect, but it doesn't need to be. This isn't like back when we had to make sure everything worked with 512 mb of ram.

I wonder how many and how much of the current websites would display with a non-bloated browser (maybe Links 2).

I mean from a normal users perspective it only needs a little HTML formatting, clickable, copyable links, 3 or 4 builtin fonts, show png, jpg, video tag, typing some text into a form with a submit button. Anything else is superfluous fancy gimmicks causing compatibility and security problems (half of the addons exist to disable annoying "features").

Advertisement

If I try copying text (meaning click 10 times until the caret lands in the right spot, assuming the browser doesnt keep moving the view away from the text field whenever Im focused on it...) on my android phone theres a 50% chance itll freeze and force me to restart the phone because of course its incapable of just crashing the browser after I spam all them buttons for a minute...

Its not the newest one tho

And thats with the default browser, If I tried to use mobile chrome or something it would probably do the same thing at 10% the speed.

o3o

I know it may seem like everything's horribly broken right now, but from an insider's perspective on an extremely high volume website and application, I swear it's not us.

All the javacript stuff we do is to maintain compatability back to IE5 Everything seems redundant because we're forced to re-impliment html5 components because that's what we promised in our SLA. In fact, our google analytics for today shows several hundred IE5 users on our application.

I mean, it works. It's not the most effective/perfect, but it doesn't need to be. This isn't like back when we had to make sure everything worked with 512 mb of ram.

I don't think anyone is targeting IE5 compatibility, IE6 was already the old fossil people hesitated to support for LoB applications 5 years ago.

Hell IE6's market share is 0.52% in june, and IE5 was already dead back when IE6 was 50+%

I don't think anyone is targeting IE5 compatibility, IE6 was already the old fossil people hesitated to support for LoB applications 5 years ago.

Hell IE6's market share is 0.52% in june, and IE5 was already dead back when IE6 was 50+%

We service medical providers using ancient hardware in third world countries. Our IE5 users are around 2%. Even if it was .52% in our market, that still represents many people who we need to service.

Seriously, the pushback to any software requirements change is massive, and huge engineering/structural design issues were resolved in less than optimal ways to support that.

We service medical providers using ancient hardware in third world countries. Our IE5 users are around 2%. Even if it was .52% in our market, that still represents many people who we need to service.

I don't doubt there are companies in the position you describe, but I do think that's a very different space from the "consumer web," that is the thing most people are accessing for recreation or to get news or stay connected, et cetera. That's the bit that I, at least, think is rather shit these days.
You made that quip about "fitting in to 512MB of RAM" before, but that's still a valid issue for things like mobile devices which are a nontrivial percentage of the consumer web...consuming... devices.
Advertisement

Seriously, the pushback to any software requirements change is massive, and huge engineering/structural design issues were resolved in less than optimal ways to support that.

But that's very specific to your target audience and kinda off topic here.

Also are you sure your IE5 users wouldn't upgrade? I don't really see what hardware has to do with this as a newer IE wouldn't be any slower and IE 6 is available even on Windows 98 / Windows NT4, so unless your users are on 3.1 or 95 there's really no reason to support IE5 instead of a big popup telling them to upgrade to 6 and maybe taking the time to mention that they're 2 OSes bellow what Microsoft has droped support for (i hope those PCs are not connected to the net!).

Also if you're targeting that you're definately targetting computers with much less than 512MB of ram, in the Windows 98 era 512Mb was pretty high end

Also are you sure your IE5 users wouldn't upgrade? I don't really see what hardware has to do with this as a newer IE wouldn't be any slower and IE 6 is available even on Windows 98 / Windows NT4, so unless your users are on 3.1 or 95 there's really no reason to support IE5 instead of a big popup telling them to upgrade to 6 and maybe taking the time to mention that they're 2 OSes bellow what Microsoft has droped support for (i hope those PCs are not connected to the net!).

It actually doesn't matter what users want or can. I was working on web applications for modern hotel groups and insurance companies. Especially for the hotels you can bet that most of their clients use ipad for booking either by themselves or by their secretary as the hotels were in range of $1000+ per night. In both cases IE7 and FF 3.0 had to be supported and looking EXACTLY as other browsers + special even more fancy version for ipad. What's more their analytics included that ancient browsers were actually used.

Well... hardly a niche target smile.png

It actually doesn't matter what users want or can. I was working on web applications for modern hotel groups and insurance companies. Especially for the hotels you can bet that most of their clients use ipad for booking either by themselves or by their secretary as the hotels were in range of $1000+ per night. In both cases IE7 and FF 3.0 had to be supported and looking EXACTLY as other browsers + special even more fancy version for ipad. What's more their analytics included that ancient browsers were actually used.

Well... hardly a niche target smile.png

Yes but IE7 is still in the "modern" range, IE6 and bellow is massive additional work. Supporting IE7+ can make some financial sense but IE5, eww.

Just reading this thread but... oh dear the Gmail selection bug is back? I recall just permanently switching to the simple interface because I got upset of how often the Gmail client would bug up badly every so often (by that I mean like every week or two). I had forgotten about it by now because of how long ago I had switched (the simple interface is much less buggy, even if it lacks some features). Ugh.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement