Advertisement

Hello everyone

Started by July 21, 2015 09:07 PM
9 comments, last by Thaumaturge 9 years, 2 months ago
Hello everyone!
I'm a long time lurker of gamedev.net and have been visiting this site since 2004 or so. (I remember the hockey MMORPG thread.) My journey into game development started a few years before that when I bought the game development language Darkbasic Profesional. After messing around with that language and creating a couple of tiny games with it, such as a minesweeper clone, I realized that Darkbasic Professional isn't suitable for larger projects. So I transitioned to C++ and promptly became mesmerized by all its many features. Needless to say, I wrote some really awful macro-ridden code. More or less trying to reinvent my own language within C++. Thanks to the existing posts about coding style on gamedev.net and the book C++ primer, I was able to greatly increase my proficiency with C++. During this time I also discovered the website of Tom Sloper, which was a great motivator. I was quite happy when I saw that he had become a moderator on this site.
A few semi-finished games later I managed to land a job at game development company that developed games for the iPhone and Android devices. I had a great time there, the colleagues I worked with were wonderful and the game we worked on was coming along very nicely. Unfortunately when the game was finally released it didn't do well enough and the company fell apart two years after I started. During the last months at that company I did become rather fond of the Python programming language and started to develop my projects in it. This turned out to be a good choice because, about half a year later, it allowed me to get a job at a high tech company were I now have been working for almost two years.
So, after all of this, why am I joining now? Well I want to join the Week of Awesome 2. I unfortunately just missed it last year and promised myself that I would join this year.
Happy coding smile.png

Welcome to the forums & contest!

Advertisement

Welcome Toz, glad to you have here!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Hmm... I don't think that Everyone is around, but I'm sure that she'd appreciate the greeting! ;P

Greetings and salutations, and welcome to the forum. happy.png

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Hmmm, we have someone who hasn't joined the C# side of the force ... * evil laugh * .... soon, very soon ....

oh, and welcome to the forums !

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome aboard! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement

Welcome!

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

Hmm... I don't think that Everyone is around, but I'm sure that she'd appreciate the greeting! ;P

There's someone whose literal user name is Everyone? That must get confusing in conversations real fast. :\

Hmmm, we have someone who hasn't joined the C# side of the force ... * evil laugh * .... soon, very soon ....

Oh, I don't underestimate the Dar... eh C# side, I have programmed in it before. I just find Python to be a more elegant weapon.

@others:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

There's someone whose literal user name is Everyone? That must get confusing in conversations real fast. :\

Note the emoticon at the end of my line--that was intended as a joke, a play on your wording. My apologies for any confusion! ^^;

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Note the emoticon at the end of my line--that was intended as a joke, a play on your wording. My apologies for any confusion! ^^;

Oh whoops. That was me being a silly programmer, taking things too literally.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement