Advertisement

VS 2015 is here

Started by July 20, 2015 08:54 PM
33 comments, last by SmkViper 9 years, 1 month ago

Well... https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs

Unfortunately I can't find any information on the Pro version without buying into a MSDN subscription. The closest I've found is some vague notes that it will be offered, and a MS person linking to their download page which, yes, lets me download it, but puts me on a 90 day trial.

(Yes, I could just grab the community edition, but there are still some features in Pro that I'd like - but not enough to pay hundreds of dollars a year for...)
Advertisement

I never really liked Visual Studios - especially after the whole incompatibility BS that happened when they switched their whole frame work many years ago.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

(Yes, I could just grab the community edition, but there are still some features in Pro that I'd like - but not enough to pay hundreds of dollars a year for...)

Compare Visual Studio 2015 Offerings

So far the only listed difference I've seen between the Community and Pro is the lack of CodeLens, Team Foundation Server, Web-based Test Case Management, Agile Portfolio Management, Team (Chat) Rooms, and Work Item Charting.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

I never really liked Visual Studios - especially after the whole incompatibility BS that happened when they switched their whole frame work many years ago.

Ok I sometimes crawl under a rock, but what is this about? Also, what do you use instead for C++/C#?

Also, what do you use instead for C++/C#?

Code::Blocks/MonoDevelop

Advertisement

Compare Visual Studio 2015 Offerings

So far the only listed difference I've seen between the Community and Pro is the lack of CodeLens, Team Foundation Server, Web-based Test Case Management, Agile Portfolio Management, Team (Chat) Rooms, and Work Item Charting.

Yeah, I know. Mostly want CodeLens. smile.png

Previously they locked it behind Enterprise edition only, which is silly - especially since they keep talking about how great it is. They've gotten much better about it with the Community edition, but I do wish they'd stop locking features solo devs can use behind large paywalls. They can lock stuff teams need behind paywalls all they like since teams generally have more money to throw around then one person (like TFS).

Like I said, I can use Community, just kinda wanted the Pro non-MSDN version. And really, can you see small teams being able to afford $700+ a year per seat just for VS? $300 per seat one-time is much more reasonable...

I've heard that Intellisense should have been greatly improved. I never thought it worked in the first place so that doesn't say much, but has anyone actually tried the latest version of 2015?

Like I said, I can use Community, just kinda wanted the Pro non-MSDN version. And really, can you see small teams being able to afford $700+ a year per seat just for VS? $300 per seat one-time is much more reasonable...

Pre-Express/Community, I did end up buying a year subscription several years ago (VS 2005 era) to get Visual Studio Pro. Unless something changed, the good news is Visual Studio keeps working after that, just the subscription (and wonderful included software) goes away (also got 2010 at a nice discount with a little help from my wife's best friend's husband who works at Microsoft) In fact, I was still able to get a couple of VS keys after my subscription expired (keys just appears on my msdn page). I did check, and they didn't provide me a 2015 key. I did just install the Community edition and it has been pretty nice so far.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

I've heard that Intellisense should have been greatly improved. I never thought it worked in the first place so that doesn't say much, but has anyone actually tried the latest version of 2015?

I've always used visual assist x for intellisense, the c implementation has always been terrible compared to their c# in my experiance. I'd love to drop visual assist if 15's been signifigantly improved.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement